Izzy Stradlin - Jazz Guitars!

hairmetal

• Members

How did Izzy manage to play his white ES-175 at a cranked volume without crazy feedback????

I think the 175 is so cool - and looks amazing but the feed back i have experienced at rock levels is crazy!

izzy.jpg

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Back to the matter at hand, there are many things you can do to stop hollowbody guitars feeding back, including stuffing them with things (foam, socks, whatever springs to mind...). Maybe Izzy's was "treated" in some way?

how exactly do you stuff them, how much do you stuff them, and how does it affect tone?

• Members

Installing violin posts is a relatively easy procedure if you can figure out where the vibration centers are. These are cylindrical posts cut just right to wedge between the front and back. I had mine professionally done and it cost just $30 and works great. I actually ended up removing one of the posts however as I had lost a bit of sustain. One post turned out to be the perfect compromise for me.

PS Saw Izzy fairly recently with the Georgia Satellites and that boy can play.

• Members

I have almost zero feedback with this rig !

08122007090.jpg

. . . into this . . .

300.jpg

I found, that if i stand more than 10feet away, and 'off-center' of the direct line of the speakers (two Marshall 1960B cabs) i keep in incontroll with ease ! I also keep my back to the cabs at all time !

No Worries !

• Members

Installing violin posts is a relatively easy procedure if you can figure out where the vibration centers are. These are cylindrical posts cut just right to wedge between the front and back. I had mine professionally done and it cost just $30 and works great. I actually ended up removing one of the posts however as I had lost a bit of sustain. One post turned out to be the perfect compromise for me.

PS Saw Izzy fairly recently with the Georgia Satellites and that boy can play.

WOW . . . never heard of this before - got any pic's ?

• Members

i wouldn't be surprised if it was stuffed or had violin posts but i think also the fact that g'n'r were a big band on big stages so he had room to get away from the amp, feedback is harder to control if you can't get away from the amp or stand off to the side of the amp easily.

• Members

i wouldn't be surprised if it was stuffed or had violin posts but i think also the fact that g'n'r were a big band
on big stages so he had room to get away from the amp, feedback is harder to control if you can't get away from the amp or stand off to the side of the amp easily

Very true that !

When i am alone on the HUGE stage of the church (all alone) i can crank that 50W Bassman to 10, with ZERO feedback. But then i am more than 12 feet in front of the nearest cab, and standing atleast at a 25degree angle to the axis/"centre line" of the cab.

Oh and the reverb of the church is the best i have ever heard. The church was spesifically designed/build with perfect acoustics in mind though !

• Members

I remember reading in an issue of Guitar World (somewhere around '93-'96) about stuffing a t-shirt inside to control the feedback. I have no idea who suggested doing this--this is one of those situations where I've remembered the message much, much longer than the messenger.

Archived