Queen + Paul Rodgers on PBS

Karma1

• Members

Anybody else catch this concert. I saw it last night and was very impressed. I'd heard that Rodgers is now performing with Queen and was curious about it, but last night was the first I actually heard anything. Of course it goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway), that Freddie Mercury was a completely unique talent and would be close to impossible to "replace" with someone who sounds like him (in the way that Journey found someone who sounds like Steve Perry). I'm glad they didn't go that route. Paul Rodgers has his own distinctive bluesy sound, and in my opinion, is one of the best voices in rock, and brought a different flavor to Queen's music which totally worked for me.

I liked that they threw in a few songs from Rodger's previous bands, Bad Company and Free. It was especially cool when they played Free's "Allright Now" and halfway through segued into "We Are The Champions". I thought it was interesting how the Bad Company and Free tunes felt right at home in the Queen set list, and how Brian May's playing style fit the songs so well. Brian sounded great as always, and his tone is killer. Also, it was nice to see Rodger Taylor come out from behind the drum kit to take center stage and sing a few songs. All in all, an awesome show.

• Members

Yeah I think they're excellent - get the album they released last year its good!! I agree Queen could never replace Freddie - but just look it as a new band and enjoy it for what it is. They're all good musicians and Pauls a great singer. Ok he's not Freddie....but he's not trying to be!

• Members

I think their versions of old Queen, Free, and Bad Company songs are really cool. They're sort of like a really, really, really good cover band. Their new original music, however...ugh. C-lebrity makes me sad.

There's a live version of "Feel Like Making Love" from their last tour which is one of the best performances I've seen out of any of them in a long time. :thu:

Archived