Help need Stripped screws on Tuner

nuke_diver

• Members

I was restringing my acoustic and I found of the the tuner screws on the ground :eek: (yeah I know HCEG but I'm sure this has happend to an electric too). When I tried to put it back in I found it had fallen out because the hole is stripped..no idea how that happend but the guitar is pretty old and those are original tuners and screws. I found that both screws are stripped. So I'm looking for options as to what I can do to fix the problem without spending $$ at a luthier unless that is really the only way to fix it right. The guitar is very important to me for sentimental reasons.

I can think of 3 options

1. get some oversized screws...this might be a problem if the hole is badly stripped

2. try some wood filler and see if that will hold

3. get some dowling and fill in the hole with dowling then retap and rescrew

Would any of these be better or are there other options

Thanks

• Members

You're a nuclear sub mariner and this little problem has vexed you? I thought you guys were all machinist/secret-agents.

If the guitar is not a very valuable instrument, then I would just shave bits off of a round toothpick and experiment with different sized shavings placed in the screw-holes, to get a positive "bit" from the screw.

If it's is a mid-valuable guitar, then I'd go the "Dowel-plug/redrill route".

If it's a valuable-valuable guitar, then that's what professional luthiers are for.

• Members
You're a nuclear sub mariner and this little problem has vexed you? I thought you guys were all machinist/secret-agents.

If the guitar is not a very valuable instrument, then I would just shave bits off of a round toothpick and experiment with different sized shavings placed in the screw-holes, to get a positive "bit" from the screw.

If it's is a mid-valuable guitar, then I'd go the "Dowel-plug/redrill route".

If it's a valuable-valuable guitar, then that's what professional luthiers are for.

Not a nuclear submariner...the name..well it's a long story but it works out well as a forum handle cause it's almost never used :thu:

The guitar is not an expensive instrument but it is from my late great mother and is my first guitar so it is very valuable in that sense.

I'll try the toothpick thing and see if that works. If not I'll probably try the dowel thing next since I suspect that's what a luther would do...:idk:

The problem doesn't have me vex...but I'm not an expert on working on guitars and I know there are some here who are. I always like consulting with experts first :)

Archived