Amp questions...Pre amp, power amp, effects loop, HELP

streetknight

• Members

I guess I'm trying to figure out the intricate workings of a Tube amp. I'm gonna use my Peavey Classic 30 as my example since it's what I have.

It has an effects loop which will come into play later.

I understand that driving the Pre amp is what gives the amp it's "gain" This is why the higher the volume is when you see distortion, correct?

I'm guessing the Power amp is just what gets the sound out to the speaker. If this is the case is this where different types of Tubes come into play on the actual "tone" of the amp?

OR, does the Pre amp have more effect on the overall "tone"?

On channel 2 (of this particular amp) there is Pre and Post controls. The more I turn up the "Pre" the more gain I get, increasing the Post just effects the overall volume, correct?

This amp has an effects loop. I understand how to use it with pedals, BUT could I say use the amp out line of a POD or Tonelab and plug into the effects return and bypass the amps regular Pre amp section?

Will this then allow me to dial in different sounds from the models from the device?

If so, with the modeler plugged in this way, will that make all the controls on the amp itself having no affect if they're turned and even the volume would be controlled by the modeler?

Sorry for all the stupid ?'s, but I'm bored and would like to know lol.

• Members

The preamp does all the tone shaping, and in the case of the drive channel provides most of the gain. Distortion that kicks in as you turn the amp up louder is coming from the power section.

You can plug a modeler into the effects return. Not sure how that would work on the Peavey. The volume knob may or may not work, but nothing else will.

Modelers generally sound better into full range amps like keyboard amps or PAs. You can make them sound decent plugged into guitar amps, but you lose some of their flexibility that way.

• Members

the effects loop comes after the preamp and before the power amp.

the preamp in or whatever its called, completely eliminates the preamp, and you plug your guitar into whatever preamp.

if using the effects loop, plug your guitar into the amp, effects send to preamp input, preamp output to effects return.

power amp distortion happens as well, and it is a different kind of gain. subtler, but sweeter.

if you want to use the c30 as an amp, and the pod for effects only, use the effects loop.

if you wanna use the amp models, and just need to power speakers, use the preamp in, and plug directly into your modeler.

sorry if i missed any questions.

Archived