Pearly Gates or Seth Lover for LP neck ?

dilin

• Members

Hi guys,

My A2P neck is a bit smooth for me, prefer something with more grit, but still with the Alnico 2 "looseness". I already have a 59n in another guitar, so now I'm considering either a Pearly Gates or a Seth Lover for the neck.

My amp is a Vox AD30, the only models I used for LPs in the UK70s (Plexi) and the Bassman.

Thank you.

• Members

Just give me the standard 59 - very articulate and yet warm at the same time. Most others seem to emphasize too much midrange IMO which can sound rather muddy. I have the 59n in two Hamers and a Washburn and it sounds distinctive and very good in each.

• Members

Thanks guys..

How about materials-wise? Is the PG wound 42awg plain enamel too? Does it honk like the Seth? I've a Seth in the bridge, love its honky sound when I dig in the strings...

• Members

I have a Pearly Gates in my Ibanez JS100 neck.

Its sweet, but definately got some dirt to it, great balance of treble and bass.

You can get a lot of tones from that classic ZZ Top Texas rock sound

to Smooth soaring leads... (which is cool for a neck humbucker)

The neck model was cheaper than the bridge model for some reason, when I bought mine, probably because it was old stock.

All in all Its a great p/up. Even cool for coil splitting/tapping.

• Members

I have a Seth Lover in the neck of my Les Paul and I love the way it sounds. I did a recording session with it and the engineer really liked the tone and described it as "warm and woody" on clean sounds. It sounds good with distortion, although I usually use the bridge pickup for that. I can't really compare it to the Pearly Gates. My only experience with one of those was in the bridge of a 50th Anniversary Strat where it was pretty bright and edgy.

• Members

I almost forgot. I don't know if this is gonna help but you can see how similar the PAF-alikes are in this clip that I did. I had the amp turned up to pretty high grind levels. I'm gonna have to reload this video because the audio quality was very good. It seems to have been downgraded in YouTube since I first posted it for some reason.

[YOUTUBE]1RDThSJoqdE[/YOUTUBE]

1. BurstBucker Pro

2. 57 Classic

3. Lover '55

4. SD Pearly Gates

The Pearly Gates is a noticeably warmer sounding pickup than any of the others. You can tell it's my favorite of the 4 I used here. I am not using my PG at the moment because I put one of those $400 EVH relic pickups with Eddie's signature on the back on my LP Classic Plus. It's very cool. I will be installing the PG in the neck position of that guitar and ditching the Duncan Jazz that's in there now.

Anyway if you like warmth (darker sound), go for the Pearly Gates. If you like more open sounding mids and sparkly highs, go for the Lover. They are very close though, and I don't think you can go wrong with either. They do feel different when you play. The 55 will feel like it's just on the edge of feedback if you play loud with a band. The PG is more controlled but you can get pinch harmonics to jump out of it.

• Members

I've never had any personal experience hearing how a Pearly Gates sounds in a neck of an LP. I've had experience hearing a Seth Lover in the neck of my friend's LP Studio. It has a great open sound to it. It can pull off jazz tones, rockabilly, blues, smooth overdriven leads with no problem. I also love it's dynamic response. Probably the best sounding neck humbucker that I've heard. I love the sound of the SD Alnico II Pro that I have in the neck position of my Epiphone G-400, but I much prefer the tone of the Seth Lover.

• Members

1. BurstBucker Pro

2. 57 Classic

3. Lover '55

4. SD Pearly Gates

The Pearly Gates is a noticeably warmer sounding pickup than any of the others. You can tell it's my favorite of the 4 I used here. I am not using my PG at the moment because I put one of those $400 EVH relic pickups with Eddie's signature on the back on my LP Classic Plus. It's very cool. I will be installing the PG in the neck position of that guitar and ditching the Duncan Jazz that's in there now.

Anyway if you like warmth (darker sound), go for the Pearly Gates. If you like more open sounding mids and sparkly highs, go for the Lover. They are very close though, and I don't think you can go wrong with either. They do feel different when you play. The 55 will feel like it's just on the edge of feedback if you play loud with a band. The PG is more controlled but you can get pinch harmonics to jump out of it.

Nice tone doc, what was your signal chain there other than the looper?

• Members

I've never had any personal experience hearing how a Pearly Gates sounds in a neck of an LP. I've had experience hearing a Seth Lover in the neck of my friend's LP Studio. It has a great open sound to it. It can pull off jazz tones, rockabilly, blues, smooth overdriven leads with no problem. I also love it's dynamic response. Probably the best sounding neck humbucker that I've heard. I love the sound of the SD Alnico II Pro that I have in the neck position of my Epiphone G-400, but I much prefer the tone of the Seth Lover.

Currently I have the A2P in the neck too, I like it, but just would prefer it to be more bold. Not as bold as my 59n in my other LP, but more, I dunno, presence?

• Members

I have a Seth Lover in my Les Paul and I love it. I did have a BB Pro in there, but to be honest I think the Seth Lover has more definition, and I guess maybe more a mid-cut too. I like to have that open sound when I play on the neck pickup, like a chimey sound. I am thinking about putting a Fat Cat P90 in the LP though cause I just put one in one of my Strats and I think it sounds amazing.

Another thing, even though the Seth Lover isn't wax potted, I haven't really noticed any horrible feedback when I crank the distortion. So I really don't have a problem with that at all.

• Members

Nice tone doc, what was your signal chain there other than the looper?

It's just the EF86 channel of the Vox AC15. The looper is going through the black AC15TBX. The amp was turned up full but I had an attenuator to keep things under control, and I was using the 7 watt mode. I probably had the cut control (one of those quirky Vox things) up pretty high to tame the top end on the Vox. That's pure power amp distortion that Billy Gibbons has made a living from. You can tell it's not a pedal because the bass hangs in there really well.

The cool thing about Vox amps is that you can still hear the woody character of the guitar even with the volume up all the way. There's a Visual Sound Echo in the signal chain, but that's about it.

• Members

Seth lover. But get a fucking custom wind at that price.

The Seth Lovers that I have on my LP Classic are some special 50th anniversary version that were wound by Seymour in the Custom Shop and hand signed by him. I'm not sure what's different about them other than the fact that Seymour wound them and they have a special German Nickel Silver cover, but they sound pretty sweet. You can see that they are embossed. SD made them in Alnico II and Alnico V. These are the II's. They measure 8.38 bridge and 7.2 neck. No wax potting. They are the best sounding humbuckers for cleans that I own.

lpcbody.jpg

• Members

Just found this: http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/The%20Legendary%20Seymour%20Duncan%20o/

"The bobbins are polycarbonate, which is a very durable plastic. We wind the APH bobbins with 42-gauge plain enamel magnet wire, just like the original P.A.F. pickups. The bottom plate is nickel silver and the hookup wire is four-conductor. Each pickup is hooked up and soldered by hand and is then wax potted in a vacuum chamber for elimination of microphonic feedback." -Seymour Duncan.

• Members

If it means anything, I've had a Seth Lover in the neck of my main LP for quite some time now... As far as I'm concerned, it is an excellent pickup. I've never had any problems with feedback, and I play some pretty high gain things in front of a Hiwatt.

Archived