What do you do when a blogger writes about your band...

jrm27

• Members

Kind of a strange question I gues... however, our band has been asked to open for arguably the largest act in Christian music on Friday. A blogger picked up on the story, went to our myspace/website, and wrote a nice little blurb about us (http://blog.beliefnet.com/gospelsoundcheck/ if you are interested).

So my question is, how do we harness this little bit of independently given momentum? What do you do when a blogger picks up on your band? I've already contacted the blog writer and expressed our gratitude, and am trying to steer our fans on our myspace site to her blog. Hoepfully we can bring her some new readers as well.

But what else would you do? How do you capitalize on this type of thing? Thanks!

• Members

Asking permission is not always necessary. In this instance, fair use can apply, but, you get much greater mileage by asking the blogger if you can quote him/her and post a link to the blogger's site.

I trade links all the time since I am in the publishing business.

• Members

Have they linked you on the blog? If not ask them if they would put a link to your myspace/webpage in there, and in return you will link their blog on your page. That way your getting free publicity just for doing the music.

Have you had anything else written about you? Its good to have reviews and quotes on a page so it looks like other people enjoy your music, pick the best bits of the comments and put them in a prominent place on your page, maybe have the full entry quoted somewhere too, with links back to the blog.

• Members

other than all of those excellent suggestions, you can also put a link to the article on your web pages and web site. I didn't see anyone talking about facebook, which is also a great promoting tool because of it's mini feeds. You can add a link in the "what are you doing right now" box, and than all your friends and fans will see it.

Also, you should try to stay in touch with the blogger. That's one fan you want to favorite...

• Members

This is great that you got some free publicity!

Heres what I would do.

1) Ask the writer if we could take the blog and upload it to other sites.

2) For example Ezarticles or associated content. There is literally hundred of blogs sites and article directories that you could upload this puppy to.

Now you have something awesome to put in a press kit. I will try and brainstorm some more ideas!

Archived