How to tell if a Wolfgang Special is Made in USA?

fly_with_v

• Members

Most that I see that are Korean do not have the patent pending and EVH signature. Is that how you tell. I am basically looking for a used USA made Peavey Special. I know that most quilts are Korean, most americans do not have binding, but is there any other way to tell?

• Members

easy giveaways to tell if korean (wolfgang EXP):

neck is finished with a poly coat (not oiled like the USA versions). IIRC the korean is symmetrical profile on neck too vs the asymetrical profile of the USA versions.

there are also other indicators - for example, crapper trem system (not the same as the 2 usa versions). also, chances are if its quilted maple veneer it is korean version. Tuners are different as well.

Having owned both a USA standard and also an EXP (which I promptly sold) , i can tell you that the difference between the two just by holding/playign them is noticeable.

BTW: USA's *do* have binding.

• Members

BTW: USA's *do* have binding.

USA Specials don't have binding.

If it's a quilt top, it's a Korean Special, unless it's a custom shop USA Special, in which case it's going to cost a lot more than a Korean Special.

There are flametop Specials that were made in the USA. These don't have binding either, but they have faux binding (natural maple strip around the top).

So, quilt top, pot metal bridge, and satin finished symmetrical neck means it's a Korean model.

Here's my USA Flametop Special, just to show you what the faux binding looks like. Only the Standards had actual binding.

greeniebody.jpg

• 11 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members
On 10/13/2020 at 8:23 PM, jeffrusso said:

I have a 2009 fender wolfgang and know its a usa made guitar, but I don't see a stamped serial number or a burned in signature anywhere on it. Can anyone enlighten me?

The original thread from over 11 years ago was in regards to the Peavey Wolfgang, not the EVH Wolfgang. Totally different thing.

Archived