Wiring two pickups for noise cancellation/humbucking

Sabicas

• Members

I recently bought a lap steel with two single coil pickups. See photo below. It has two rocker switches that each have three positions. When both switches are pushed one way, there is no sound, both pickups are off. When they are the other way (or in the middle position, as shown in the photo) they are both on. You can select BRIDGE, NECK, or BOTH and the single coil hum is still present when BOTH is selected. I'm guessing that means the switches are on/off/on? I have to replace the tone and volume pot, so I thought it would be cool to do a simple wiring mod while I've got the guitar opened up. I'd like to have it so that when both switches are in the middle position, they are wired for noise cancellation or humbucking, if there is a difference.

What are my options here? Can pickups be wired in reverse for humbucking or do they have to be wound that way? Is there a diagram on the web that can show me what to do? I've tried but I can't find one.

steel2.jpg

• Members

Ok, I thought that might be the case. I want to find something to do with both switches in the middle position. As it is now, both switches ON and both switches in the middle are exactly the same. What about having both switches in the middle as a phase reverse option?

• Members

Ok, I thought that might be the case. I want to find something to do with both switches in the middle position. As it is now, both switches ON and both switches in the middle are exactly the same. What about having both switches in the middle as a phase reverse option?

Might be possible, but it will depend on the switches.

• Members

I opened it up, there are four nodes for each switch. Two per side. Each switch has two connections wired and two empty. The two wired nodes are on the same side of each switch. Does that help at all?

Archived