Difference between Edge Pro, Edge III and Edge Zero

Ibarshall_X

• Members

Similar in that they let you whammy while keeping you in tune.

Many dog the Edge III although I've never had a problem with it.

I love the Edge Pro.

I've never played an Edge Zero but have a ZR on my S470. I love the ZPS which the Edge Zero also uses.

The Pro and Zero come on the higher end, made in Japan models.

• Members

ok, dunno why they'd ''dog'' the Edge III

Btw....If i'd buy a guitar with an Edge III tremolo, would it be able to switch the tremolo for the Edge Pro? i mean i don't have to cut anything or something do i?

(incase i'm not satisfied with the Edge III)

• Members

Btw....If i'd buy a guitar with an Edge III tremolo, would it be able to switch the tremolo for the Edge Pro? i mean i don't have to cut anything or something do i?

Unless something has changed recently, no. There has been a different rout in the body between the cheap and higher end Ibanez trems for as long as I can remember.

If you want more accurate details about things like this you should probably ask at the forums at www.jemsite.com. Those guys know way too much about all things Ibanez and should be able to tell you in great detail why people 'dog' the Edge III. :thu:

• Members

I'd rather pay more up front for the guitar with the Edge Pro instead of buying a guitar and having the EP installed later.

• Members

dam that jemsite forum is sooo slow

i got one answer in like 6 hours :facepalm:

so i'm gonna ask my questions here :D

Would a Edge Pro tremolo fit a guitar, that has an Edge III tremolo?

For instance maybe the RG350DX ?

And please, can someone tell me the performance differences between the Edge Pro and Edge III?

• Members

dam that jemsite forum is sooo slow

i got one answer in like 6 hours
:facepalm:

so i'm gonna ask my questions here
:D

Would a Edge Pro tremolo fit a guitar, that has an Edge III tremolo?

For instance maybe the RG350DX ?

And please, can someone tell me the performance differences between the Edge Pro and Edge III?

Thanks
:)

I know, god forbid you have to wait a day or so to get an accurate and complete answer.

I already answered your question... What else do you need to know the fitting issue that 'no' doesn't cover? I also just noticed you got the same answer over there, so are you just waiting for someone to tell you it will fit when it won't???

• Members

ok...since i will probbably get a guitar with a Edge III (i'm nto sure tho)

could someone tell me how the Edge III performs?

Compared to the Pro?

It should be fine. I think the complaint with the III is that the metal might be cheaper/softer. If that is true, then the knife egdes on the trem could develop rough spots. If that happens, the guitar might not stay in tune when you use the whammy bar.

As for tone and sustain, I'm sure they are both similar.

• Members

That's right jds22. The main issue does seem to be the softer metal thus you do get problems with the knife Edges. You will hear conflicting reports about the EdgeIII and it is certainly the weakest of all the Edge trems but unless your gonna thrash the life out of it it should prove to be a stable enough unit.

At least you're not getting an Ibanez fitted with a Lo Trs system which really are terrible. The best Ibanez trem imo is the Lo Pro Edge. That's now fitted as standard to the J Customs and the Jems which are the best guitars Ibanez make.

• Members

That's right jds22. The main issue does seem to be the softer metal thus you do get problems with the knife Edges. You will hear conflicting reports about the EdgeIII and it is certainly the weakest of all the Edge trems but unless your gonna thrash the life out of it it should prove to be a stable enough unit.

At least you're not getting an Ibanez fitted with a Lo Trs system which really are terrible. The best Ibanez trem imo is the Lo Pro Edge. That's now fitted as standard to the J Customs and the Jems which are the best guitars Ibanez make.

hell no!!!! if Edge III has these kinds of issues then no way i'm getting that. I don't want a guitar that goes out of tune every time i use the whammy bar...

Looks like the only guitar that is white, with a pickguard, with Edge Pro tremolo and with decent inlays (hihi :D) is the Steve Vai Jem guitar.

But a Jem with a Edge Pro costs like $2500. I only have $1200 on my max budget. :(

I are dissapoint

• Members

Dude I have an RGR420ex (see pic) and that is my main practice guitar even though I own several very expensive Ibanez guitars. This guitar has an Edge III trem and hasn't gone out of tune in like 6 months. Having said that this very guitar was used by Ibanez UK as one of their display models at music expos etc and it was set up to perfection. I was lucky enough to be able to buy it from them. With your budget you should be able to get a very good used Ibanez Prestige model which will have a Superior form of Edge trem in it.

003-6.jpg

• Members

i don't want a used guitar.

I'm a kind of person, who wants his guitars to be personal :D

some things even unique and, well personal, again :D

How 'bout this:

-I buy a Ibanez Prestige body (not painted, that fits a Edge Pro tremolo)

-Buy a 350DX neck (Which suits me better than the prestige model neck which is tooo thin)

-Paint the body the way i want

-Buy and put on the Edge Pro tremolo

-Add my Bg Pups

-Buy a pointless pickguard (which looks good)

and

-Buy all the other hardware needed (like knobs, jacks etc.)

• Members

Yeah you could do that and that way you can have everyting to your spec. The 350 neck should fit the Prestige body as they both have the AANJ neck joint.

cool :)

man you've been alot of help :)

should i buy a Jem body? i mean those are the only ones i can find on eBay, which are totally stripped of paint.

Would i be a copycat when i had a Jem body?

http://cgi.ebay.com/CUSTOM-BODY-FITS-IBANEZ-JEM-OR-RG-PARTS-REAR-ROUTE_W0QQitemZ190313571575QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item2c4f92a4f7&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

this looks nice :)

• Members

cool
man you've been alot of help
should i buy a Jem body? i mean those are the only ones i can find on eBay, which are totally stripped of paint.

Would i be a copycat when i had a Jem body?

http://cgi.ebay.com/CUSTOM-BODY-FITS-IBANEZ-JEM-OR-RG-PARTS-REAR-ROUTE_W0QQitemZ190313571575QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item2c4f92a4f7&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

this looks nice

i can fit a pickguard on that thing right?

• Members

Or, you could just get a RG3550MZ, in white... It's not alot more than your budget, but it's a ton cheaper than a JEM. Has an Edge Zero, which is every bit as good as an Edge pro, but with the ZPS features (so, some would say, better). Everything else is pretty much exactly what you want., just great MIJ Prestige quality.

Forumite Axeslinger just got one, here's his picture

DSCF1438.jpg

• Members

Or, you could just get a RG3550MZ, in white... It's not alot more than your budget, but it's a ton cheaper than a JEM. Has an Edge Zero, which is every bit as good as an Edge pro, but with the ZPS features (so, some would say, better). Everything else is pretty much exactly what you want., just great MIJ Prestige quality.

Forumite Axeslinger just got one, here's his picture

DSCF1438.jpg

i'll think about it...thanks ;)

i would paint that guitar anyway, i want it to be black from behind, and i want a little black widow on the front left top of the guitar.... it's to represent my fear of spiders :D

i'm modding some pics right now...i'll post some pictures of what i'd like 'em to like like :thu:

Archived