Santana Sound?Guitar?Technique?Longer question

thunder100

• Members

Dear All

(sorry for bold/red) its for the busy readers

After practicing a lot and using a modeller amp,I can now play some Santana songs quite OK and even my curse the Smooth solo getting OK

(thanks for the various advises here-->Play all and every note !! This is a challenge)

Now its time to work on the sound.I play OK (a bit to sharp) with my Stratocaster tone all in middle and the Roland Amp set to Rectifier

All my Strat's are single coils-->which seems now to be the limit/even with compressor(and continuing practicing)

In order to come closer and not spend a fortune

Do I need a HSS Strat because of the humbucker to get closer?If so which Pickups?

(an MB Mark I is out of question)

Is it better to go to a cheaper LP(Epi ??)?

But I have annother issue.I own 3 guitars all Stratocaster.Had a Tele short in the past and also a SG.It seems that I am too stupid to remember all of them as when I play one guitar even the switching from Fender to G&L makes me a problem that I need 5 minutes playing to get it correct again.Is it just me,and if so what is the cure?

Is it the scaled lenghth what matters(Although I think also the neck with radius and fatness matters to me)?

What are you doing to avoid this when you gig with more then one guitar?

The other oportunity is probably a cheaper LP style guitar like a Xavier

If I take such a cheaper one(tempted with the Xavier) which one and which pickup?

Or is the way to a used PRS ?

Thanks for advise

Roland

• Members

If you like the guitars you have why not just mod one of them up to get the tone you are looking for? Have you checked under to see if any of them are routed for humbuckers? If so you could pick up a H-S-H pickguard and wire it up and throw it on. If not you could pick up some stacked or rail type humbuckers and throw them in the pickguard you have now.

• Members

If you say Its just a humbucker question,I can have a look into the Hwy1 (pool) and try then a humbucker in.

Is HSS enough or does it need to be the neck position?

Would solve my I-do-not remember-the different-neck's problem.

In the end as I like all my guitars as they are I will buy a Squier CV and use it as the Mod version guitar

Which humbucker would you recommend?

Roland

• Members

If you say Its just a humbucker question,I can have a look into the Hwy1 (pool) and try then a humbucker in.

Is HSS enough or does it need to be the neck position?

Would solve my I-do-not remember-the different-neck's problem.

In the end as I like all my guitars as they are I will buy a Squier CV and use it as the Mod version guitar

Which humbucker would you recommend?

Roland

If your going after a Santana sound I would suggest a Humbucker in the neck as well as the bridge and as said above use the tone control to warm it up. As far as what kind of Humbucker there are lots of chooses out there. I would say you should probably go with one of the many Paf types out there. Myself I am a fan of Dimarzio Paf and Paf Pro, but there are many other good chooses out there for cheaper or more.

• Members

Santana seldom uses Strats since he feels they need too much volume to achieve the sustain he enjoys. Still, he likes Strats and plays them and gets nice tones from them. He had some video lessons in his website years ago, and was playing a Strat. I don't recall if it had a humbucker or S/S/S.

Regarding the "Santana tone" it varies quite a bit depending on the album. Some classic tones were achieved with Les Paul guitars and Fender amps, and were much cleaner than his PRS/Boogie combinations.

With single coils I would probably add a compressor and an overdrive.

• Members

Regarding the "Santana tone" it varies quite a bit depending on the album. Some classic tones were achieved with Les Paul guitars and Fender amps, and were much cleaner than his PRS/Boogie combinations.

With single coils I would probably add a compressor and an overdrive.

I would like to achieve the recent Supernatural sound.The earlier sound I play from Abraxas can be done very close with like you mention with a compressor(Cahdmods) and a OD(OCD).Especially the Smooth and the Corazon Equinao ,at least I cannot get right,their is still always a bit sharpness in .When I come close it falls then to too muddy.My pals say->you see you need an LP for this(I am not the greates LP fan).Therefore the above questions.

But I am tempted by the HSH idea as also written above again I seem not to be good enough to play different instruments one after annother(Without accomodation practice)

Hopefully somebody answers on this as well

Roland

• Members

it might may sense to go with the humbucker he plays in his PRS, then.

(this one ? http://www.thomann.de/gb/prs_santana2_treble_zebra_acc3036.htm)

and make sure you have decent caps on your tone pots.

Spraque seems to be the way to go.

I'm no Santana expert (or even fan - I can't stand his tone/repetitiveness) ;) but is more a common sense kinda post.

:wave:

• Members

After practicing a lot and using a modeller amp,I can now play some Santana songs quite OK and even my curse the Smooth solo getting OK

Dude, it's more about actually playing it the way he does. As of "that sound", every Strat will give you what you're looking for.

Archived