Problem with DiMarzio Pickup

felipemomo

• Members

Ok, i have a Gib LesPaul studio where I installed a Seymour Duncan Jazz pickup and a DiMarzi ToneZone Pickup about 4-5 months ago. The jazz pickup has been doing excelent, it sounds sweet, and it sounds thick.

Nevertheless, the Dimarzio has not been doing so well, to the point i keep my pickup selector in the neck all the time (even when playing metal or edgy stuff!). So, the main problems I hear are:

- It doesnt have half as much power as the Seymour Duncan, this translates not only to volume issues, but to having to put whole lots of distortion (or OD) into the signal in order for it to feel chunky. Of course, when i do this and change pickup, the jazz pickup overloads the already loaded signal and the sound is completeley muddy.

- Sometimes, the volume in this pickup just goes 'off'. this is pretty literal, it sometimes just won't sound and ill have to either start switching pickups until it 'regains' signal, or strum the open strings until it does. This of course gets me pissed each time i decide to give this pickup a try.

- The sound is incredibly thin, and when it is distorted, it gets really trebly. Ive tried to solve this with the amp's EQ but i was able to get to no 'sweet spot'.

so i'd like your advice, people...i can either take it to a store (which is kind of expensive and not that good, but its the only gibson-dealer in costa rica) to check it, or change it back to the original pickup... so basicly it sums up to if the tonezone has hope of coming alive in tone and power, if not, i would then just swap it back for the original pickup. what do you think?

• Members

I have seen something like this before. A lot of the time people wire up Dimarzio's using the Seymour Duncan colour not realizing they are different:

humbuck2.gif

If by chance you have done this you are currently running the Tone Zone in coil split mode.

• Members

Yeah, it sounds like you have two issues... one with a bad contact or a bad ground (with the volume completely cutting out) and not having the full HB going on the Tone Zone. The Tone Zone should be at least 50% louder than the Jazz and certainly thicker sounding.

Hope you get it sorted. If you are going for chunk, the Tone Zone should certainly be able to deliver.

• Members
:thu:
I have seen something like this before. A lot of the time people wire up Dimarzio's using the Seymour Duncan colour not realizing they are different:

humbuck2.gif

If by chance you have done this you are currently running the Tone Zone in coil split mode.

Archived