If I have no midi sound after installing Guitar Pro 5...

• Members

...then what on Earth went wrong here? I uninstalled a really old unlicensed copy and replaced it with a newer trial version. But now, none of my GP files have any sound!

:mad:

I'm definitely not inclined to purchase this program just yet!

I have a feeling this might be related to my problem of no sound in Sony Vegas Movie Studio, but I figured Guitar Pro would be much more relevant here.

• Members

Did you check in the control panel under Sound and Audio devices? If you're not using ASIO, that's the place to specify a default for audio.

If you are using ASIO, make sure you have that selected in the program's preferences.

More details, please....

• Members

...then what on Earth went wrong here? I uninstalled a really old unlicensed copy and replaced it with a newer trial version. But now, none of my GP files have any sound!

:mad:

I'm definitely not inclined to purchase this program just yet!

Why bother buying that when Tux Guitar works as well (if not better), is FREE open source software, and has a Windows version which works very well?

It imports all Guitar Pro files with no problem.

Did I mention it's free? :)

• Members

GuitarPlayerFL: I tried TuxGuitar, that's not playing any sound either.

Did you check in the control panel under Sound and Audio devices? If you're not using ASIO, that's the place to specify a default for audio.

If you are using ASIO, make sure you have that selected in the program's preferences.

More details, please....

What other details would you need? I don't even know what ASIO is so I'm just going to assume I'm not using it. :)

Here's a screenshot if it helps. Seeing as how I have no sound with either GP or TuxGuitar, could this be a soundcard problem?

42722316.jpg

• Members

According to that pic, in the "Port Device" field, you're sending midi to the

inbuilt windows softsynth.

If you want to send to an outboard midi synth, that's the place to assign it.

If you click the arrow in the "Audio" field, you should see other options there,

including ASIO if you have it installed.

If you have ASIO , select it in that field and then, in the "Sound Card" field below,

choose the appropriate output. (It will usually have ASIO in the name.)

If not and there are other options for "Sound Card", try them and then choose the

appropriate driver.

You want to get away from Primary Sound Driver if at all possible.

• Members

The Windows softsynth is the only selection available there, it's either that or I choose "none". And I'm not sure what difference choosing ASIO does anyway, since the RSE is disabled with the trial version. But I tried it anyhow, and the soundcard field went blank; can't choose anything with "ASIO Low Latency" selected.

Archived