Micro Cube speaker upgrade

• Members

What the ohmage on the speaker you're replacing?

If it's 4 ohms, then there's the Jensen MOD 6 inch at 15 watts that goes for about 9 quid (less shipping) on this side of the pond.

Nobody else I know besides Weber makes a 6" guitar speaker.

Would a 5" fit better?

There may still be a couple of 5" MODS floating around too. They have a 30 watt rating and cost around 11 quid less ship.

The old Pignose mini amps had 5" speakers w/ a pretty big magnet for it's size. Pignose sold replacement speakers for these ...I see one every once in a while on U.S. eBay.

• Moderators

What the ohmage on the speaker you're replacing?

If it's 4 ohms, then there's the Jensen MOD 6 inch at 15 watts that goes for about 9 quid (less shipping) on this side of the pond.

Nobody else I know besides Weber makes a 6" guitar speaker.

Would a 5" fit better?

There may still be a couple of 5" MODS floating around too. They have a 30 watt rating and cost around 11 quid less ship.

The old Pignose mini amps had 5" speakers w/ a pretty big magnet for it's size. Pignose sold replacement speakers for these ...I see one every once in a while on U.S. eBay.

the Cube is actually 5"

• Members

Jensen MOD 5 is an 5" - 8 ohm speaker that has been discontinued but are still available new.

On ebay, this guy has 8 of these in stock (build a speaker stack!) along with lots of softball gear:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jensen-MOD-5-30-Guitar-Amp-Speaker-Ceramic-30w-NEW_W0QQitemZ270271555893QQcmdZViewItem

doeringerguitars.com may also carry these too.

• Members

With the new bigger micro cubes available, I kind of canceled plans of upgrading the speaker in mine. If I want something bigger (I don't right now), I'll just eBay mine and get the bigger one. Price will be a wash when compared to the cost and risk of cutting up my MicroCube.

• Members

Parts Express sells a 5" 4ohm Dayton woofer that looks like it should work. The frequency range looks about right for a guitar speaker (from what I know).

Anyone willing to give this a try?

It's a $30 speaker, but it'll probably cost me closer to $60 by the time I get it shipped to Canada...

• Members

The EQ of the blackface model is such that no matter how low the volume is, the speaker farts out on the low notes.

I've heard a lot of people say this, but at bedroom volumes I've never had a problem, even with the gain maxed out. It's a practise amp for {censored}'s sake and you shouldn't drive it so hard so that it farts.

(I used to know a girl like that...)

• Moderators

^Yep. I just leave mine on JC Clean because I'm sick of surprise flatulence.

If you find a good speaker option, I'd love to know about it.

The screwdrivers going on it tomorrow and if the baffle plate is simple then a 6" Alnico Weber will be going in there

https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/asig6.htm

• Members

This seems like a solution in search of a problem.

It's a little like saying: "My Pignose amp sounds like a cheap, battery-operated practice amp with only a couple of primitive controls!" Well, yes, it does.

If you want more oompf in a small footprint, look at the MicroCube RX. It has 4 10mm speakers. Should do just the trick for your.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • Members

I really like the microcube and the Cube 30....great amps for in the home. Still i'd not bother going to the expense n bother of upgrading the speaker on such a cheap amp....if you think its crappy i'd just get another amp.

Still as a mobile guitar tutor I use my microcube everyday as my "working amp" (small light and just the job for going house to house!) and it does me proud for such a lil package.

Currently hankering after a Blackstar HT-5...thats my dream home amp....were my Marshall 1923C is my band amp:love:

Archived