Album Marketing Brainstorm

• Members
How is it possible for a kid to pay 25. for a t-shirt-a cheap piece of cloth with a picture stamped on it, and not want to pay for music that took thousands of hours, years maybe to write, record, produce, etc? Music that obviously has an affect on that person's life?

Simple. You can't share your t-shirt with your friends...and if you do, that'd just be dirty and reflective of poor hygiene :freak:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Your example of putting out 5k to sell a product for 2.99.......that is gonna be tough to sustain. Given your example, do you really think that you'd be a sucker for buying your favorite band's cd for 20.00 if they spent 200k to make it?

That's why you don't spend 5k to manufacture your product. Cut as many corners as possible without sacrificing too much quality and proceed from there. If I'm spending 5k to cut a record, I'm going to make sure a label or some type of benefactor is going to front the costs. It's too much of a risk to spend thousands on an DIY/indie release now without a solid fanbase and the potential to increase demand.

• Members

I don't know, it just came out.

Another idea, again, not well-thought-out, we do have an EP coming out in the fall, perhaps the album comes with some kind of "coupon" type thing that gets you the 8 song EP for free, unadvertised, just a bonus you find out about after you pay your $20 for the new Sgt Peppers.

I would put a very big sticker on the front of that $20 album that says 8 song EP free with purchase of album. That way it appears more like they are buying two albums.

• Members

One thing to remember is that many of these kids were given their money by mommy and daddy and didn't necessarily earn it by working... not all of them, but many of them. They buy video games and CDs and probably can't tell you next week what they paid for it. Many of them can't tell you what they had for lunch yesterday.

Kids are often living for the moment and if they are partying, they might be half drunk when they buy your CD anyway. They will be lucky if they remember a single track on the thing.

hahaha so true

But remember, they have money, but not for music. Music is free, REMEMBER!!?!

• Members

That's why you don't spend 5k to manufacture your product. Cut as many corners as possible without sacrificing too much quality and proceed from there. If I'm spending 5k to cut a record, I'm going to make sure a label or some type of benefactor is going to front the costs. It's too much of a risk to spend thousands on an DIY/indie release now without a solid fanbase and the potential to increase demand.

Sell out your profits for 5k? I accect that things have changed, and that people don't spend on cd's anymore. I know I'll never make another cd. CD's are over. In one way, it's good. No one has to put together more than one song to bring it to market.

Cygnus, the difference between computers and cd's is that it cost Dell no more to make the better computer today than it did 10 years ago to make the weaker one. But the same quality cd's as those made ten years ago cost just as much to record, mix, and master assuming your using a studio. Studio players still need to get paid too. Duplication, promo, etc, is just as expensive too. I don't expect consumers to care about it. But it is a bummer. DVD producers came up with high def and charge more for the new improved format. Music guys come up with mp3 and get less. I guess it's deserved.

• Members

Sell out your profits for 5k? I accect that things have changed, and that people don't spend on cd's anymore. I know I'll never make another cd. CD's are over. In one way, it's good. No one has to put together more than one song to bring it to market.

So you will only do singles and sell them online?

There is something sad about this... Maybe I'm just emo. Its like... We are going to record songs but we'll never have a physical media to put them on... 20 years from now, we'll have no proof of what we have done. No art, no little packages... you know?

• Members

I would put a very big sticker on the front of that $20 album that says 8 song EP free with purchase of album. That way it appears more like they are buying two albums.

If you're releasing an 8 song ep with it for free, why not just make it a double album? People will pay $15-20 for a double album with few to no complaints.

• Members

So you will only do singles and sell them online?

There is something sad about this... Maybe I'm just emo. Its like... We are going to record songs but we'll never have a physical media to put them on... 20 years from now, we'll have no proof of what we have done. No art, no little packages... you know?

Yep. And I agree it's sad, but it's the only thing that makes sense if you want to make money from recordings, unless your gigging a lot.

• Members

Yep. And I agree it's sad, but it's the only thing that makes sense if you want to make money from recordings, unless your gigging a lot.

Maybe put a cover and lyrics file available online for those who want to print them?

• Members

If you're releasing an 8 song ep with it for free, why not just make it a double album? People will pay $15-20 for a double album with few to no complaints.

We thought about that. But we also decided we don't want to blow the whole wad on 1 release. Plus, you run into problems with tunecore and itunes trying to do stuff like that.

• Members

We thought about that. But we also decided we don't want to blow the whole wad on 1 release. Plus, you run into problems with tunecore and itunes trying to do stuff like that.

What problems came up when you tried to do a double album with tunecore and itunes?

• Members

if itunes is selling a album for $10 and you make $7 off each album sold, why not do a press run of a 1000 cds, don't go ultra crazy on the print stock and quality, get the price down to like $1.75 a disc on a 1000 run (i just did a nice looking 8 panel booklet, transparent-knock out cd with clear tray and dual tray print, sealed and upc stickered for $1.40 on 1000. hate cds but have to press them). A $1.75 per cd and you're looking at $8.25 profit at $10. $1.25 better than the itune sales. plus people will buy at $10. Unless you're like radiohead and have some crazy packaging gimmicks, you're not gonna sell many cds at $20. I haven't paid more than $10 for an album in 10 years. i'll wait for it used and dl it off the net in the mean time.

i will buy vinyl. if i have the choice of cd or vinyl or know the album will come out on vinyl i buy vinyl. i'll pay $10-12 for the vinyl. never for cd unless i absolutely have to. but $10 is a far cd price imo.

Archived