realistic price for fender american standard strat used?

iplayguitars

• Members

thanks fxtal

are these prices due to the bad economy or were they always about this low?

and do they have anything to do with fender raising their prices?

They've always been that low.

ew

• Members

thanks fxtal

are these prices due to the bad economy or were they always about this low?

and do they have anything to do with fender raising their prices?

The bad economy is definitely playing a role. I recently sold a Hamer Monaco Elite fairly cheap, and had to significantly lower the prices of the current guitars I'm selling. Of these, the closest to a Strat would be my 2008 G&L which is pretty much as new. I paid close to $1500 for it including some upgrades. At $800 it still has zero bids with one day to go.

It does have many watchers, so who knows what will happen in a day.

I've sold many of my guitars (Washburn, Melancon, Baker, Heritage, G&L Tribute, Yamaha, etc.), and the market was definitely better a few years ago.

If anything, under normal conditions Fender's price increase should help you a bit. Today that does not apply, though.

• Members

I just sold a 2008 Fender American Standard Strat in white with maple neck, including hard case, for $650 on CraigsList. It didn't exactly fly off the shelf either. Had it up for $750 for a while but no takers. Got an offer for $650 and I took it.

If you can get $600 I think you've done pretty well.

• Members

I forgot to add that if you are open to sell it internationally, you may get more money. When there was no interest in some of my guitars in the US, buyers from the UK, Italy, and Australia became their proud new owners.

• Members

I think if it was a 2006 guitar you could sell it for a little more (60 anniversary)

But now in the econonmy there's a lower prices in the used gear market,

On the other hand brand new guitars cost more, big guitar company like fender-raise there prices because they lose a lot.

• Members

Hold onto it until the economy improves. Fender also jacked the prices up a couple hundred on them, so it may also take time for the market to adjust for used guitars. These things are like $1200-1300 new now (up from $1000). A fair price would probably be around $900, but there's no way you'll get that right now. $700 is probably a more realistic price at this time.

• Members

maybe this would be a good time to invest in some used guitars if you had the money?

You are right!

Having some extra now, maybe for a future new guitar, spend it now on used guitar, can be simpler model and sell it with some profit somthing like a year in the future.

2-3 guitars you will do that you can profit few hundreds-thousands bucks.

Archived