A tale of 2 Strats

FUBTAG

• Members

Here is my story:

I have too many guitars... I don't play my favorites let alone the ones I just impulse buy. The Tursers, SX's, Peavey's... whatever else just take up room.. one day they will look cool all displayed on a wall.. but for now.. in a closet they sit.

My 2 main guitars are (in no particular order) an early 90's MIM Strat and a 2008 MIA. I have ALWAYS been a proponent for the MIM's as I think they are wonderful guitars. MIne currently looks like this:

1pickguard.jpg

Earlier this year, I picked up a great deal on a new MIA .. it looks like this

IMGP0472.jpg

You cannot compare the 2 straight up. They both serve their purposes well. What I did NOT realize is how different the MIA feels and plays with 1 more fret. I was not aware when I started playing the Standard that it had 22 frets. And I have to say.. there is a huge difference. It's not a mental thing rather a physical comfort that was incredibly noticeable as soon as I really started playing.

The comfort that the MIM provides is the upwards of 15 years of dependability as my #1. To know that I can get whatever sounds out of it I need, when I need it. I can coax it to be as sweet and clean or as raunchy as I need.

I played both through the same exact set up.. which is through a Danelectro Daddy-O, Ibanez Delay, EQ into my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. The MIM out-performs almost all guitars I have ever played (LP and Ibanez Artist included... PLEASE keep in mind this is merely a subjective statement..) ... but the Standard is heads and shoulders above my beloved. I was in awe the first time playing live with it just a few weeks back and again 2 weeks ago at my own block party. It feels 'real' if that makes sense. Like it isn't a wanna-be but an honest to goodness instrument. It's a (and I hate this statement) professional grade instrument that makes the musicians job actually easier.

... but I still love my MIM. My "Baby Blue" will stay with me for a long time but new "Old Gray" will be with me till the end...

and I really don't NEED another guitar .. of course that won't keep me from buying them... :facepalm:

Archived