My next guitar. Build or buy?

Marshack

• Members

Currently Playing a 95 Strat, but need a humbucker guitar!

A few years ago a bought a SCHECTER, and Epi explorer, but they just didn't feel right in my hands, and I kept going back to the Strat with it's worn shoe feel. I guess i'm a strat guy as they just feel right! Both guitar went back.

Here's what I like:

Strat bodies. Did Leo get it right or what? The contour is perfect, and just feels like home. The looks are just perfect too. I like!

Maple necks. They just feel good in my hands. Rosewood necks just feel clunky to me. I do like Nice bound, inlayed, ebony fretboards, but I think I still prefer all maple for feel alone.

Perferred Pickup layout would be H-S-S

I would like Figured wood finish. No paint! The only paint color I like is Black, and my #1 is already that color.

Some type of Tremelo?

So where does that leave me ?

First thought would be a AM ST Strat with H-S-S. But I don't like the look of the Pick up layout with a pickguard, ( Like the Jackson look better) Also, i'll be darned if I can find a decent one with low action, and NO buzz. Tired of looking!

A Jackson DK2 interest me, but I rather have a correct strat body. Pickup layout is correct with nice Wood finishes! The fretboard is not Maple, but the bound necks look really nice, and I dig the headstock! Looking hard at this choice.

USA Charvels are a good fit, but wrong pickup layout, and PAINT! Also, none around locally to try:cry:

Or I could build from Warmoth, with no resale value, more risk, but perfect specs?

• Members

I have about $1000 to spend. I would like to build, but keep getting bogged down in the Details. Picking a pre finished body is killing me! Spalted / flamed / lacewood / binding / natrual masking / none. Perhaps a forum decision would help !!!!!!!

Anyone want to pick a prefinished exotic strat body?

• Members
Currently Playing a 95 Strat, but need a humbucker guitar!

A few years ago a bought a SCHECTER, and Epi explorer, but they just didn't feel right in my hands, and I kept going back to the Strat with it's worn shoe feel. I guess i'm a strat guy as they just feel right! Both guitar went back.

Here's what I like:

Strat bodies. Did Leo get it right or what? The contour is perfect, and just feels like home. The looks are just perfect too. I like!

Maple necks. They just feel good in my hands. Rosewood necks just feel clunky to me. I do like Nice bound, inlayed, ebony fretboards, but I think I still prefer all maple for feel alone.

Perferred Pickup layout would be H-S-S

I would like Figured wood finish. No paint! The only paint color I like is Black, and my #1 is already that color.

Some type of Tremelo?

So where does that leave me ?

First thought would be a AM ST Strat with H-S-S. But I don't like the look of the Pick up layout with a pickguard, ( Like the Jackson look better) Also, i'll be darned if I can find a decent one with low action, and NO buzz. Tired of looking!

A Jackson DK2 interest me, but I rather have a correct strat body. Pickup layout is correct with nice Wood finishes! The fretboard is not Maple, but the bound necks look really nice, and I dig the headstock! Looking hard at this choice.

USA Charvels are a good fit, but wrong pickup layout, and PAINT! Also, none around locally to try:cry:

Or I could build from Warmoth, with no resale value, more risk, but perfect specs?

How about THIS:

American Deluxe Quilt Maple Top...

It sounds like everything you mentioned... including ebony fretboard.

Maple top on alder body.

Plays and sounds GREAT!

QMTStrat_FullBody.jpg

QMTStrat_CloseUp.jpg

QMTStrat_Headstock.jpg

Let me know if you want me to sing its praises further... it's my FAVORITE strat by FAR!

M

• Members

If you're asking if they come with maple fretboards... no.

But the neck is maple with an ebony fretboard. Fast as lightning... and not as bright as I would have expected... it's actually very well balanced tonally.

I don't know what kind of music you play... but here's a couple of songs featuring this guitar from a past "sticky" thread. Here's a bluesy one...

ZepMe.mp3

And here's a more "classic rock" one...

WatchMan.mp3

I like the tone I'm getting on both of these!

FYI they're about $1,700 new now, I got mine a few years back for about $1,200... that's pretty good compared to a new Anderson, Suhr or similar guitar.

M

Archived