working on the 52' - aint no 52' anymore!

ajcoholic

• Members

Ever since I bought my used 52' Tele reissue back in 05' - I have never been completely happy with how the neck was. I liked the shape but I couldnt get it set up and I think it was a little wonky...

Finally got around to making a new neck for it - and while I was at it, I added a 2nd P90 in the middle and swapped the guard to perloid.

I had already put in the neck P90 and bridge lil 59', and Callaham three saddle bridge.

Now, with the strat wiring and new neck, it rocks!

AJC

ps look at that birds-eye maple... Mmmmmm:thu:

IMG_5619.jpg
IMG_5620.jpg
IMG_5621.jpg

• Members

In all seriousness, I could NEVER get a good setup on that thing. And I think I know what I am doing. I built many Teles that had way better action and I just couldnt get this one dialed in. Even after I refretted it and flattened the radius.

I will keep the old neck, but this new one is way better. Just as beefy, and has vintage size wire - but its 12" radius and feels great.

Oil and wax finish - just like my PEavey HP special CT. Yum!

AJC

• Members

That's got to be one of the most birdseyesiest necks I've ever seen. I'd love to have seen the fretboard with that kind of birdseye on it.

The rosewood? fretboard and block inlays certainly give it a unique look too though. :thu:

• Members
Thanks dude! Thats actually the first neck I did using birds eye. Weird... since I have made a lot of necks.

AJC

it works tons easier than quartersawn curly hard maple. good god, the neck on this thing SUCKED to plane/joint/etc.
DSC_1010.jpg

i need a helicle blade or something, the furniture shop i used to work at had them on everything, those things are amazing. i still take my figured stuff there to plane when its a glue joint im gonna be working with.

• Members
wow that neck looks sweet. for some strange reason i've been wanting a tele when i'm a strat/super strat kinda guy. you're not helping
:mad:

also couldn't help it but you have a '52 tele not a 52 foot tele.:poke:

Its for the 50 foot tall woman. :)

The fretboard is RW indeed. The inlays look off center for some reason in the photo but they arent.

I had the block MOP inlays left over from another project they didnt get used on, and thought they would look good with the new PG.

I may conotour the body ala strat (arm and rib contours) and just leave the natural ash oiled. I know, I know... Leo is probably rolling in his grave right now.

But man, if I dont like a guitar enough to take it to a gig, its not worth having in my collection. I figured since the guitar was already "hacked up" a little more isnt going to hurt :thu:

AJC

• Members
absolutely beautiful - ever consider getting into the neck selling biz?

Nope... guitar guys are far too (A) cheap, and (B) fussy, and oh yeah, © cheap & fussy :cop:

There are too many other places to get necks. But, I priced this thing out at Warmoth and I almost fainted...

My cost: about $45 for the inlays, $20 for the board, $ 20 for the trussrod and $4 for fretwire. $40 for the tuners and a deuce for the string tree.

The maple was essentially free - I buy a lot fo hard maple, and every once and a while a killer board comes in the lift I set aside. It was maybe $1.50 worth of maple, if that.

So, this neck finished with tuners cost me about $130 - about 1/5th of the cost to buy one. The complete job took me about 6 hours.

AJC

Archived