Quick wiring question

PoppyPoo

• Members

I'm trying to wire a SSS Stratocaster something along the lines of: http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdf_temp1/stratocaster/0131002B/SD0131002BPg2.pdf

However, my switch looks nothing like any that I'm finding on diagrams on Fender, GuitarElectronics, or anywhere else.

Instead of four connectors (not sure what they're called - the places where you solder your wires onto) on two faces, I have a switch that only has seven connectors total. Three on one side, three on the other, then one in the middle.

I can't find my camera for the life of me; here's a quick Paint drawup to help visualize:

2eds3yq.png

as opposed to :

6id4br.png

What is my type of switch called? It's a five-way, but I'm not sure how to approach wiring it. Thanks for any help!

• Members

If you have a multimeter that can test resistance or connections, it clears things up very quickly to just watch how the connections happen as you flip the switch.

I believe that in your specific case, the output terminal has actually been hardwired to both sides. If you look at the Fender diagram, there's a diagonal wire connecting one side of the switch to the other. This joins the two halves of the switch together so that the pickups on the one side connect to the tone pots on the other side. In your switch, my best guess is that this connection is already hard wired into your switch, and that's what the center terminal is.

As for which side is which, whether the movement is opposite on each side like a normal Fender switch, etc...uh...I have no idea. Seriously, get a $20 multimeter if you don't have one. It makes this wiring stuff MUCH easier to set up and check.

• Members

If you have a multimeter that can test resistance or connections, it clears things up very quickly to just watch how the connections happen as you flip the switch.

Seriously, get a $20 multimeter if you don't have one. It makes this wiring stuff MUCH easier to set up and check.

Or spend the 10 bucks on a new 5 way switch. What you have is not very common. Why phuck with an unknown? Chances you or someone else will be in there again at a later date. Scrap that switch.

• Members

I believe that in your specific case, the output terminal has actually been hardwired to both sides. If you look at the Fender diagram, there's a diagonal wire connecting one side of the switch to the other. This joins the two halves of the switch together so that the pickups on the one side connect to the tone pots on the other side. In your switch, my best guess is that this connection is already hard wired into your switch, and that's what the center terminal is.

This seems quite likely to me, though I have never actually seen a switch like that before.

Archived