Any ProTool users?

nuke_diver

• Members

I got a Mbox2 mini with Protools 8 LE and while I'm still in the learning phase there is one problem that I cannot seem to find a hint on so I'm hoping some experts are here (yes I know there is a record forum and the last time I posted there I got 0 responses :mad:)

What I'm trying to do is not hear my guitar signal from the mic'd amp through the speakers (which are currently hooked to the headphones jack because that is the only input I have). I've turned down the output volume that was suggested in one of the tutorials I watched but while it lowers the level out of the speakers it's not gone. I've got to believe that there is a way to stop this output because I'm sure there are others who do not want to hear the guitar from the amp and from the speakers (with a slight delay). While the slight delay can give a cool sound it isn't always the one I'm looking for

Anyone? :wave:

• Members

Make sure that you pull the fader down on the track you are recording. This is done with the mixer.

Then on your Mbox there should be a mix control make sure you adjust this to hear your source in relation to the playback tracks if you want to hear the guitar with out the slap back delay from latency.

I hope this is clear. I'm pretty good at PT but not so hot explaining it.

• Members

Hi Bryan, thanks

I have the fader all the way down but still there is some sound. I would like to have none of the guitar signal coming through because I've found that playing around with some of the plugins can cause pretty bad feedback. Most of the things that I've tried either remove all the sound or none of it. What I'm looking for is something to stop the guitar signal from going to the speakers/headphones and just go the the software, while still being able to hear previously recorded tracks. On the Mbox there does not seem to be a mix control. There is a gain for the preamp and a volume control for the headphones...that seems to be about it.

• Members

Hi Bryan, thanks

I have the fader all the way down but still there is some sound. I would like to have none of the guitar signal coming through because I've found that playing around with some of the plugins can cause pretty bad feedback.

Most of the things that I've tried either remove all the sound or none of it. What I'm looking for is something to stop the guitar signal from going to the speakers/headphones and just go the the software, while still being able to hear previously recorded tracks. On the Mbox there does not seem to be a mix control. There is a gain for the preamp and a volume control for the headphones...that seems to be about it.

My advice: forget all the plugins when you record your guitar playing. Whe you have a steady performance recorded, you could start 'plug-in' the plug-ins, like effects, reamping and such.

Volume controls: use the volume controls in the Protools app. Mute and level according to your needs.

• Members

Volume controls: use the volume controls in the Protools app. Mute and level according to your needs.

This is the root of the problem, levels and muting do not stop the signal from going to the speakers. If it did I wouldn't have a problem.

The feedback from the plugins came when I was playing around with them while having the amp still mic'd and the guitar plugged in. I had to shutoff the speakers to stop it

Archived