Another project guitar completed.

• Members

I didn't intend to build this guitar, but after buying and installing a new neck on my '64 Mustang, my wife said I should have kept the Mustang the way it was as a collectable. So... I now had a 24" scale neck, with upgrades (ebony fingerboard, graphite nut, locking tuners and stainless steel frets) sitting around. I couldn't let it go to waste, so I build up another Mustang with some added features, dual rail humbuckers, the slide switches wired for humbucker, off, or single coil, and a DPDT switch on the tone control for phase reversal.

CompletedMustang.jpg

CompletedMustang2.jpg

• Members

Looks pretty cool. Where did you get the body?

The neck, body, pickguard, tremolo, bridge, and control plate came from Warmoth. I got a few parts, including the pickups at my local (Hollywood) Carvin store.

It sounds good to me. I get a lot of tone variations with my wiring arrangement. I took it into the Carvin store to show it off to Mark, the store manager, who is way more talented than me. He played it for a while and seemed to like it. :)

• Members

The neck, body, pickguard, tremolo, bridge, and control plate came from
Warmoth
. I got a few parts, including the pickups at my local (Hollywood) Carvin store.

It sounds good to me. I get a lot of tone variations with my wiring arrangement. I took it into the Carvin store to show it off to Mark, the store manager, who is way more talented than me. He played it for a while and seemed to like it.
:)

Ah yes. Warmoth. My main guitar is a guitar I assembled from a Warmoth Strat body and a Warmoth Strat neck. Warmoth stuff isn't cheap, but it is very good.

• Members

For an "accident", that is one nice looking axe... Oooo! Oooo! QUESTION! (hand waving wildly from the back of the class)

First of all, that guitar looks great. I am inspired. Maybe I should use some Warmoth parts -- but here is my question:

I have a Fender custom shop tele. It is beautiful. But it does not have a tremolo bridge. Should I (could I) get a whammy-able bridge from warmoth and install it? Would that be an over-bastardization of my fender tele, or is it an "okay" thing to do?

PS: it has to be gold hardware to match the guitar. I hope that is done at Warmoth.

• Members

For an "accident", that is one nice looking axe... Oooo! Oooo! QUESTION! (hand waving wildly from the back of the class)

First of all, that guitar looks great. I am inspired. Maybe I should use some Warmoth parts -- but here is my question:

I have a Fender custom shop tele. It is beautiful. But it does not have a tremolo bridge. Should I (could I) get a whammy-able bridge from warmoth and install it? Would that be an over-bastardization of my fender tele, or is it an "okay" thing to do?

PS: it has to be gold hardware to match the guitar. I hope that is done at Warmoth.

It is an OK thing to do, but if it were me, I wouldn't do it to the Tele. You'll kill the resale value of it. Instead, I'd suggest buying some less expensive guitar to do that to, or even buying one that already has a whammy.

Note that by buying stuff from Warmoth, you can build just about any bolt-on neck guitar you can think of. However, it's expensive and very time-consuming so is best for people who really love to do it.

• Members

It is an OK thing to do, but if it were me, I wouldn't do it to the Tele. You'll kill the resale value of it. Instead, I'd suggest buying some less expensive guitar to do that to, or even buying one that already has a whammy.

Note that by buying stuff from Warmoth, you can build just about any bolt-on neck guitar you can think of. However, it's expensive and very time-consuming so is best for people who really love to do it.

I agree, I've seen Teles with Bigsbys Fender%20%2760s%20Telecaster%20With%20Bi

but it seems like any change you make to the way it came from the factory, will lessen it's value 30 years from now.

Building a guitar isn't really cheap. I think it cost me around $800 in parts and materials for the Mustang, it's cost me around $1,000 each to make a couple of other guitars (a semi-hollow 6-string, and 12-string). And it is somewhat a labor of love that requires acquiring some experience. IMHO an exception would be the Carvn Bolt kit. It's currently on sale for $429 (upgrades available), goes together easily, and I think it's a decent guitar. If you are more adventurous, besides, Warmoth, check out USA Custom Guitars.

• Members

Building a guitar isn't really cheap.

Absolutely not. In almost every case, it'll cost you more to build a guitar than to go buy a similarly well-made one off the shelf. The people I know who build guitars do it because they really enjoy the process... certainly not to save money.

Archived