Anybody own/owned a Boogie Rocket 44?

cratz2

• Members

I have a potential trade offer where I'd get a MESA Boogie Rocket 44 in trade for my Marshall JCM2000/DSL401.

I'm a clean and low gain player, usually play through a Deluxe Reverb or an AC15. The DSL is on garage duty and I almost always stay on the green/lowest gain channel and usually keep the gain below half even on that channel.

Where does the Rocket 44 fit in? I've played many Boogies, but never a Rocket.

• Members

i don't own a Rocket 44. but i have played one and own a Subway Rocket. the 44 is designed as the big brother to the Subway. 40 watts, 12" speaker, and digital reverb. the Subway was 20 watts, 10" speaker, no reverb. the preamps are identical, which means a good clean and two different lead sounds. the first is very Santana/Mark I like. hit the contour switch for a more scooped metal Dual Rec tone. the best part about the clean channel is that you can get it to break up and it sounds excellent at rehearsal and stage volumes. i like it a lot more than any Marshall i've ever played. but this is definitely not a bedroom practice amp.

• Members

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I've never been much of a Marshall guy. Your description sounds fairly similar to what the trader/seller said. More of a hopped up Deluxe Reverb and older MESA than current MESA or Marshall.

But... it will probably be mostly used in a bedroom and a living room. :facepalm:

• Members

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I've never been much of a Marshall guy. Your description sounds fairly similar to what the trader/seller said. More of a hopped up Deluxe Reverb and older MESA than current MESA or Marshall.

But... it will probably be mostly used in a bedroom and a living room.
:facepalm:

i haven't played my Subway Rocket in at least 6 months. its just not an apartment amp. i mean, it sounds ok. and will certainly play at that volume. but i'd rather use my Vibro Champ at home. haven't gotten any complaints with it yet. my neighbors have never been a fan of the Mesa.

• Members

Running out the door to get to work, but had to log on for this one.... I would definitely advise AGAINST it. I owned a Rocket 44 and tried for years to get it to sound more "Fender-ish." It's just a dark Mesa, plain and simple. I tried everything to clean and brighten it up: a Weber California speaker, replaced the 12ax7's with 12at7's, nothing worked. It sounded better but never quite got there. Also, it's completely allergic to pedals -- I had to run a bypass just to use my tuner. If clean or mild dirt is what you're after, pass on this one and get a Deluxe Reverb.

Archived