Played 3 strats at GC on lunch: Am Deluxe, std, and Ame spec. Mahogany..

BIGD

• Members

..all really nice. I had been gassing for a Mahogany, but after playing the 3 guitars through a lone star special (the same amp I use), I realized that the wood looks nice, but doesn't make a huge difference in tone at reasonable volume. It also didn't play nearly as nice as the AM std (HSS) which played great, or Am deluxe (3 singles) which played greater. One of the best necks I've ever played on any guitar on that Deluxe. Also, the samarium cobalts on the AM deluxe kick the snot out of whatever singles were on the Mahogany, and were better than what was on the AM std too.

The truth is that I did this because I ordered a AM deluxe HSS for the "Fender Friday" price..I was worrying that I made a mistake in the heat of seeing a great price. Now I cannot wait for the guitar to show up. I was even thinking "how much can I sell this on ebay for to pick up a mahogany".... I think I'm throwing that idea out the window.

The last strat I bought was my American Standard circa 1992...these guitars play and sound way better..and I guess they should for almost 3 times the price.

Anyway, it's cool to do a direct comparison between all 3 guitars through the same amp in the same room, even if some kid was working out his speed-metal right hand through some modeling amp 5 feet away.

Hope I didn't bore anyone.

• Members

envy you for FFRIDAY DEAL!

I read somewhere here that Canadians can't get these deals or something? I was going to say, just check every Friday, they'll come along again..but maybe you can't.

If they had been blowing out teles, I'd have gotten an American one instead of a strat. Luck of the draw.

• Members

I read somewhere here that Canadians can't get these deals or something? I was going to say, just check every Friday, they'll come along again..but maybe you can't.

If they had been blowing out teles, I'd have gotten an American one instead of a strat. Luck of the draw.

I phoned MF for 2 hours, I know they dont ship fender to canada but just want to try if any luck that they would do it special as blowing out SRV strat. A CSR talked to me for that long, and in the end "sorry~~"

No Luck!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I tried to reach my friends in the states, but under a shot notice(in friday), it couldn't been done.

• Members

I have the mahogany one and a limited edition variation on an American Deluxe. The mahogany doesn't make a significant difference in sound, but I wouldn't judge how well it played by how it was set up in the store. I can get both guitars set up so that they play extremely well. I prefer the sound of the SCN pickups over the Tex Mex and the humbucker, but they're both really nice guitars. I'd have a hard time picking which is better.

• Members
I have the mahogany one and a limited edition variation on an American Deluxe. The mahogany doesn't make a significant difference in sound, but I wouldn't judge how well it played by how it was set up in the store. I can get both guitars set up so that they play extremely well. I prefer the sound of the SCN pickups over the Tex Mex and the humbucker, but they're both really nice guitars. I'd have a hard time picking which is better.

Yeah, I thought about that too. The set up on the other 2 guitars seemed almost perfect..the deluxes high E buzzed a bit. The Mahogany needed some work....the neck didn't feel as nice regardless of the action..just running your hand up and down. All 3 guitars were in near perfect tune right off the hook..the Am std was in Dropped D though... :mad:

The main thing with the Mahogany was that the 2 single coils really sounded nasty compared to the other 2 guitars..but I though the AM STD and the mahogany had the same single coils?

With the S1 pressed and the blade in the top position, the deluxe really sounded nice...eliminates any thought of dropping a neck humbucker in it.

• Members
Yeah, I thought about that too. The set up on the other 2 guitars seemed almost perfect..the deluxes high E buzzed a bit. The Mahogany needed some work....the neck didn't feel as nice regardless of the action..just running your hand up and down. All 3 guitars were in near perfect tune right off the hook..the Am std was in Dropped D though...
:mad:

The main thing with the Mahogany was that the 2 single coils really sounded nasty compared to the other 2 guitars..but I though the AM STD and the mahogany had the same single coils?

With the S1 pressed and the blade in the top position, the deluxe really sounded nice...eliminates any thought of dropping a neck humbucker in it.

The mahogany has tex mex pickups I think, rather than whatever the American has.

I love the SCNs with the S1 switch. With the switch in, you can get pretty convincing humbucker tones, and none of the bridge ice pick tones. With the switch out, it sounds just like a regular Strat. It's a very versatile setup.

Archived