My new Mexican HSS strat and tuning

BIGD

• Members

So I picked up one of the MIM HSS on the Fender Friday deal 2 weeks ago. Have to say I love the tone, and it plays great after I set it up (the intonation from the factory was off and the action was set way too low.) The only issue is the tuning stability. It was really bad with the floating trem, but I planned on blocking that anyway, which I did, so that helped a lot. (the trem block on this is massive compared to my 91ish American standard..)

However, the snap/crackle/pop going on with the string trees every time I bend is still out of hand. The string trees on this thing are obvious junk, and I'm assuming the tuners aren't great either.

The next plan before buying new parts is oiling the string tree and nut. Anyone had any success with this alone, or should I just order new tuners now? Thinking out loud here.

• Members

Staggered tuners like the Eric Johnson Strat & graphite in the nut would improve the tuning the most I think.

Both are a good idea. I don't mind string trees on teles, but I think the combination of string trees and a trem bridge is :facepalm:

PS: Love the Tim McCracken (Capt. Hook) avatar!

• Members

I picked up a graphite nut ($7) and a pair of roller string trees ($5) at Guitar Center for my Peavey Strat-clone. Installing them made the biggest difference in tuning stability for me. :idk:

Mine originally came with those stamped steel "butterfly" trees. Any time I bent a string or used the bar (very lightly I might add) I could hear them "pinging" their way across the trees.

• Members
I picked up a graphite nut ($7) and a pair of roller string trees ($5) at Guitar Center for my Peavey Strat-clone. Installing them made the biggest difference in tuning stability for me.
:idk:

Mine originally came with those stamped steel "butterfly" trees. Any time I bent a string or used the bar (very lightly I might add) I could hear them "pinging" their way across the trees.

Yeah, those string trees really suck, without a doubt.

Archived