NAD! (Peavey Content, Pics Inside)

Kevin_L

• Members

Now I don't exactly understand gain stages and all that, so maybe someone could shed some light on this, but I find that the volume box helps me to get a thicker sound out of the dirty channel by allowing me to turn the "post" up more???

The way it was explained to me, the gain stage basically works as two volumes, one for the preamp (Pre) the other for the power section (Post). Actual volume level aside, to get a tight heavy metal kind of distortion you saturate the preamp tubes. To get a warm tube overdrive you saturate the power tubes. The power section is going to determine how loud the amp actually gets, so in order to get that warm sound you have to crank it up. By using the volume box you are able to crank the power section and still control the over all volume.

Now, if it were an attenuator it would connect between the power section and the speaker and this theory would work beautifully. As it is, the volume box goes through the effects loop, so it's still controlling the volume before it goes into the power section. How it effects the Post control at all still has me confused, but it does somehow.

Personally, I think you can dial in any sound you're looking for by adjusting the Pre & Post against each other. It's easier and (imo) give better results than the volume box.

Archived