Tone Difference - LP vs 335

jcameronk2

• Members

A semihollow has a bigger, more open sound than a solid body, especially mahogany/maple like a les paul. On the other hand, a solid body has a tighter sound. The wood plays a lesser part in the over all tone (I'm gonna get flamed for that, but I stand by it). What I really love about my semi is the attack. There's a particular, clear, snappy quality to the 335 type that I don't hear in solid bodies. Not sure how else to explain it.

To be honest, it might be an acquired taste. I didn't bond with my semi right away because I was used to a particular sound & feel, but once I got used to it I really fell in love with it.

Go down to your local Guitar Center one day (while the heavy metal noodlers are still in school) and A/B the two. You'll hear the difference right away.

• Members

Very different.

The Les Paul is fatter and "creamier sounding," everything starts to blur together and get muddled. It's part of the big, fat LP tone. Some people call it creamy, some call it muddy. It just sounds huge and you only get that fatness and aggresive attack from a big thick solidbody.

The 335 offers better clarity and note-to-note definition, it has more snap and a certain "air-iness" to it -- a slight acoustic hint to it's tone. Lets fatty midrange, but more focus and punch. But they can feel as big and bulky as an acoustic dreadnought.

All and all, the 335 is generally a more versatile guitar, the debate for the most versatile guitar across genres is often between the 335 and Tele. But the LP really has the upper hand in rock, especially hard rock, and has that "kicked in the chest" delivery that a 335 can only dream of.

Archived