Hey, what's the difference between a Bigsby B5 & a WD B5 besides $50?

GAS Man

• Members

It's not like the WD B5 is saying that it is a "licensed by" so I'm confused. :confused:

I'd like to save $50, but not if it's at all a lesser product. After all, that's only $40 diff today (and today only) ;)

The $150 Bigsby B5

502067.jpg

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bigsby-B5-Flat-Top-SolidBody-Bridge-Gibson-Style?sku=300203

"For solid body Gibson style guitars, the B 5 Bigsby bridge is for manually creating a true vibrato. The only true vibrato is to change the tone above and below the normal pitch.

Bigsby continues to manufacture vintage-style guitar parts including vibratos and bridges using the same hand-made methods prescribed by founder Paul Bigsby half a century ago. Six hand assembled vibrato models are available with the Bigsby name. The tailpieces continue to be used as original equipment on guitars by many major manufacturers."

and the $100 WD B5

247285.jpg

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/WD-Music-B5-Bigsby-Vibrato-Tailpiece?sku=360120

"Favored by guitarists and guitar makers worldwide, the B5 Bigsby Vibrato Tailpiece features a hand cast aluminum frame, stainless steel handle, and nickel plated string bar that assures years of trouble free service on your electric guitar."

So what's the difference. Alloys? I'm guessing that this might indeed be a version of a "licensed by", but it certainly isn't clear.

The only difference I can see for sure is that the WD B5 comes with a blurrier picture. :)

• Members

Hmmm...the $150 one has better photography?

Yes. I'm thinking the WD might be a Bigsby produced under license by WD, on the other hand, it sure doesn't say that. I've done a bit of googling for "WD B5 Bigsby" and haven't come up with anything yet. The WD site doesn't even show such an animal described exactly like that.

So it's also possible that WD was overstocked with Bigsbys and is dumping onto MF to reduce inventory. But it's not like I would even fathom to think that I could call MF and get any sort of informed answer, so I'm hoping one of my fellow forumites here might have the answer.

Thanks

(I just got back to this thread after actually taking a little time off of HCEG to play my guitars. I was playing my new Squier Duo Sonic through my new Fender Bassman, with my new Boss FRV-1 and comparing that against my Squier '51 and my older Boss RV-3 -- the results are interesting :), but that's another thread ;) )

Hey, I also tried loosening the neck (1/2 turns) and re-tightening it (like that thread suggested a week or so ago) and it seemed to deepen the tone. I have no idea whether that's true or it was a placebo effect. But now I'm convinced in a not at all sure kinda way. :lol:

• Members

Ah Hah!!!

I think I finally figured it out -

But could be wrong - but here's what my HYPO-thesis is now (hypo meaning under which means this could be a road apple)

I going to bet they are both made USA and one made exclusively for WD (and some ended up for some reason at MF)

But it was just now, I was getting ready to try my luck by calling a "sales person" at MF when I spotted this other difference in the item description in my cart:

1) Bigsby B5 Flat Top Solid-Body Bridge - Gibson Style Chrome

2) WD Music B5 Bigsby Vibrato Tailpiece

So then going back to the description of the WD product it does say, "cast aluminum frame, stainless steel handle, and nickel plated string bar "

So, I'm guessing there's just a chromed body added on the $150 Bigsby B5

Okay, guessing I might have figured it out - now which one of this guitar, i.e. chrome or no chrome????

SGKnobs002.jpg

The faded finish might suggest just going with the aluminum body, but then again the bridge/stopbar on this is chromed.

?

• Members

Hey, thanks for posting that. I was just getting ready to order the chrome one for the extra fiddy (-20% today) but that one looks just fine and will be a good compliment to the faded SG so the WD it will be.:thu:

I looked up google images but coudn't find one anywhere near as clear or definitive as your pic so that really helped.

Thanks again

• Members

Hey, thanks. I just got back from calling in my order using up the OCT20%. I mostly just bought a bunch of odds and ends but it sure did add up. :eek:

But I did go for that Bigsby. Since I had the SG Faded in mind anyway, I figured I didn't need the extra bling of all chromed, and your pics show that the aluminum looks good enough. Unfortunately, MF charges me sales tax in WA State, but still, $80 for a USA Bigsby + tax seemed like it was worth the shot.

I think I'll probably also just order this Vibramate gizmo so it doesn't have to be permanent.

http://www.vibramate.com/

Next I need to start scouting for some graph tech saddles for my tunamatic bridge. I think that is probably the cheapest way to go and should do the job, don't you think? Just thinking - is it hard to change out saddles? It seems like I recall that those intonation screws aren't always designed to come all the way out. :confused: I'll need to scope it.

3090_1sm.jpg

Archived