WinXP question - applications becoming non-responsive

• Members

Popped the top. Can see two fans. One fan over the motherboard which goes to the front, another fan in the back. Both are working.

Good deal. Also check the power supply fan. You can't really see it, because it's inside the power supply. But you should be able to feel it blowing air through the vents in the power supply.

In SpeedFan, there is a box that can be checked for "Automatic Fan Speed". It is currently unchecked. Should this be the case?

It depends on the computer, and I wouldn't really mess with with any of the settings in SpeedFan - it allows you to configure your fans and set their speed, but usually this is something that's handled by the motherboard and is better left to the manufacturer's default settings, unless you really know what you're doing and/or are overclocking your machine and doing a lot of non standard stuff.

In either case, I moved the computer to increase ventilation, and have replaced the mouse (I don't have another keyboard to replace currently). Right now, the computer is working correctly, so I am opening additional apps to see if I can replicate what was happening before.

Good deal. If it does start to go south again, try to keep track of exactly what you were doing when it started happening, what applications are open (even the ones you're not using), and how long the machine was running before it started acting up.

• Members

Thanks, Jeff!!!

I think it's the mouse. Sometimes, it's the simplest solutions.

So I've ripped off the top of the computer, installed the OS and apps again, etc. etc. -- and it appears to be a faulty mouse!!!!!! :D:D

I've switched the mouse out several times with a new mouse. When I put the old mouse in, after a minute or so, the computer seems to become non-responsive again, exhibiting the problems. When I switch back to the new mouse, it immediately becomes responsive. This is for all applications.

Anyway, I appreciate all the help. Suggestions to check the peripherals obviously helped me out a great deal, and I also learned some other stuff as well.

• Members

I think it's the mouse. ...

I've switched the mouse out several times with a new mouse. When I put the old mouse in, after a minute or so, the computer seems to become non-responsive again, exhibiting the problems. When I switch back to the new mouse, it immediately becomes responsive. This is for all applications.

Well, there you go then! :)

Glad it turned out to be something simple! :thu: And it didn't hurt to give your computer a thorough "checkup."

• Members

Too bad you went through all the reinstalling hassles, but at least it was an inexpensive solution. Was the keyboard unresponsive too. Probably was, I'm sure you tried the keyboard when the mouse didn't do anything.

You know, if we hadn't had these viruses appear, I probably would have started examining the mouse and peripherals first. But it started happening gradually, slowly getting worse, so I just assumed it was viruses.

The keyboard was, I think, always responsive. Still using the old keyboard. In this case, it was clearly the mouse.

Anyway, I'm glad it's fixed. And it was good to reinstall everything anyway because the computer seems a little faster and smoother anyway. I also properly backed up everything this time, as I had only the files backed up last time (which are admittedly by far the most important things, but still, it's good to have a backup of the whole computer).

Thanks, Jeff!!!!

• Members

Yeah... IE8 is the first MS application I've had in a long time that's a serious memory leaker -- but it is. It is virtually banned from my machine. Ironic that the first version of that browser that has good standards compliance is, at least on my machine, a near-unusable POS.

Calm down people, no need to panic. Let's all load IE8 back on to our machines. They finally got the thing somewhere near complaint so, as a web developer, I'd be grateful if we could all keep our browsers up to date...

You know you can just scoop that leaked memory up off the floor and tip it back in the top of the case, right?

Archived