I finally bought myself a mail scale! Do you want me to weigh something for you?

GAS Man

• Members

On average do your heavier guitars have more sustain than the lighter ones?

That definitely seems to be the case

It's like take that Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany at only 6 pounds 9 ounces, I noticed immediately out of the box that it had a short sustain for a Les Paul. I was tempted to return it. But then I started to get off on what I heard as a bluesier sound from a Les Paul and decided to keep it. Now it's one of my favorite LPs to play, partly because of tone and partly because it's a "no worries" type of guitar with its rough finish.

I'm personally, however, a believer in an old and over simplified guitar theory that goes, "More sustain = less tone; and Less Sustain = More Tone"

Obviously that theory has holes in it, but the idea is, "what do you want to hear, the body or the strings?". It's like a nut and a bridge attached to a block of concrete would have sustain for days, but would it sound good?

But the best guitars do seem to manage to do both.

• Members

I was in a hurry today to pick a few

But part of what I was looking at doing is to find out, what's the diff between a strat marketed as "ash" and a strat where Eric Johnson required that weight be a factor on his signature model.

Folks might also be interested in seeing just how light is the DuoSonic or the Dead On '67

And I'd often heard that Black Beauties were 12 pounds, but mine did come in at over 1 pound less than that.

I also thought the 1 pound 8 ounce difference between the USA PRS CE 22 and the import SE C-24 was interesting. The carved maple top on the USA model obvious accounting for the bulk of that difference.

But here's one more that I wanted to do before I ran out of time.

What does an Epiphone Semi-hollow Riviera with Bigsby weigh (the P-93) ?

8 pounds 3 ounces.

Even though it's big, it's not much compared to quite a few of the others, including the ash strat.

Archived