Super Champ XD suprise

Karma1

• Members

I've had my SCXD for over a year and really like it a lot. When I first got it I experimented with all the different voices, but have mainly been using it on channel one for it's clean, sparkling, classic Fender tone. For distortion, I use pedals. Earlier today, I was going through some of the other voices after reading some user reviews. When I got to voice 16 I was surprised at how great it sounded for a clean tone - from arpeggiated chords to jazzy rhythms and clean leads. It's based on the Fender Acoustisonic amp and is much less chimey than channel one with more warmth, great note articulation, and a more compressed sound.

I was using my Strat with Lace Sensors, mostly on the neck pickup. I've dialed the amp's treble down to about 4 and bass to 3 with reverb/chorus on 3. I'm currently running a Carvin "Vintage Series" VL10 speaker in it, although I experimented with putting the stock speaker back in to compare, which made it a bit brighter and thinner sounding.

Although I've been raving about channel one's clean tone, after going back and forth between one and 16, I'm thinking that I'll be using 16 a lot more now. Anyone else been using this voice?

• Members

I agree. I have a friend who bshed the Super Champ XD one day and I told him about you can get pretty much any sound you want out of it he shot back no way it's a crappy 15w. to which I responded those 15w can get pretty loud. Fast foward to a few day ago and he finally heard what it could do. Now he's telling me he wants one. I love my SCXD and don't think I'll ever sell it. It certinally exceeded my expectations and then some.

• Members

I use mine a lot. I bought it for around the house and for recording, but it sure works well live either alone or paired with a 2x12. I often use the clean channel and then go to the second channel on #6 with the gain at 10 for Blues gigs. I need nothing but the foot switch, which is awesome.

• Members

Would you choose it over a blues junior or tweed pro junior?

Yes. If I want Fender cleans and DR dirt, it's there. If I want to use the tweed cleans and hit ti with an overdrive, I have it. Clean with a very overdriven tweed as the second channel? It's there. It also does very good dirty AC-15 and Bluesbreaker dirt. If I'm running it with the 2x12 cab and put it on the stack model I get insane tone at decent volume.

The Jr. and TP Jr. are great amps, don't get me wrong. But with the SCXD I can get a variety of very very good tones (not passable but very good). Heck, the on-board reverbs and delays are pretty good. The slap back delay is very good. Like I said above, I have played entire shows with just the SCXD and foot switch, 2x12 cab, and guitar.

• Members

Would you choose it over a blues junior or tweed pro junior?

I chose it over a Blues Jr and a 70's silverface Vibro Champ. I had the Blues Jr a few years ago and just before this I had the Vibro Champ. I liked them both, but neither of them worked as well for my needs as the Super Champ XD. I was in the market for a Pro Jr at one point and tried a used black one and a new tweed one in a store, and while they sounded good, they both had more hiss than I wanted in an amp, especially for recording.

Archived