Anyone upgraded the pots on a classic vibe tele?

doc oc

• Members

They are full sized alpha pots, so they're pretty good. If you go to CTS pots I don't think the stock knobs will fit.

I'm going to have to replace my tone pot at some point. If I try cranking it to 11 per se my volume drops out. Right now I'm just careful & don't do that & it works fine. I'll just put another full sized alpha pot in when I get around to it.

• Members

Don't bother. Don't bother with $25, boutique caps either:lol:

I wasn't suggesting that. What I mean is that by swapping the value of the tone cap, you can unmuddy pickups or remove the icepickiness and it's like a new guitar sometimes.

• Members

I put full size WD 500K pots in mine with a .022 mfd rs guitarworks cap. The pickups were swapped with a neck humbucker and BG T-90 in the bridge. I ended up putting the stock knobs back on because the spline pattern matched the new pots. That said, the stock 250K pots are actually quite good and I will be using them in another project.

IMG_4076.jpg

• Members

I swapped mine with CTS 250k pots and a Sprague .033 Orange drop. The stock knobs fit back on, they were a tight fit but did go back on. As far a sound goes it wasn't much if any difference. The 3 way switch was worth the upgrade though, just like the feel better.

if you did the switch swap, any reason you didn't go with a 4 way??

Archived