Educate me on this Strat, please....

hrcnsfan

• Members

Fender did this stuff as cost cutting measures. Easier routing and assembly to have everything loaded from the front. These guitars are widely regarded as pretty bad on the strat spectrum of quality. I'm sure there are some great ones, but the few I played have been pretty bad.

• Members

I have one that I bought new in 1983. It is really unique due to the design but there are other aspects of this particular model that you either will love or you may hate. I have visited a number of forums and there is a very mixed opinions on this guitar. I can only tell you about the one I own as I have never played another similar model to this one. This particular guitar has the thinnest neck that I have ever found on any Fender so if you prefer a beefier neck either make plans to replace the neck or stay away from this instrument. If the guitar has the original pups in it you will have to play it and formulate your own opinion. Mine never had the jangly glassy tone that the strat is known for but I have found extraordinary tradeoffs by playing around with different settings on both the guitar and many different amps that were just plain outstanding. Mine is very resonant and has an abundance of sustain even though it is a top load string design. If you are looking for a classic sounding strat... stay away from this guitar. I learned to love this guitar over a period of time but when it came down to it. I actually bought another strat shortly after this one because it did not deliver what I was looking for when I originally bought the guitar. This was either my stupidity or a blessing depending on how you look at it. The older this guitar gets, the better it sounds so again, play it check it out and see for your self. If you use a lot of vibrato, you will have tuning issues just like any other non-locking trem guitar. If the guitar has the original nut you should replace it if you are buying it to be used as a player. I would suggest changing the saddles as well. Fender was in cheap mode when this guitar was manufactured, however, I have never had issues with the neck, truss rod, tuning machines or electronics. If you are looking at this guitar as a future project guitar, remember that the jack in the pick-guard instead of your normal strat location will alter normal pup replacements and potentiometer options. I hope I have been a little informative and help.

• Members

I've played several strats from 83 (for some reason, there always seem to be plenty 83s for sale... probably not a good sign) and I don't hate them, but the trem is pretty funky and it certainly wasn't one of their best years.

And I'm thinking the $1,500 asking price is about $700 or $800 high for an 83.

Archived