Strat bridge saddle upgrade

ledvedder

• Members

What's wrong with those saddles? They are steel, right?

I'd say they are 99% as good as stamped and folded Fender saddles which are 99% as good as stamped and folded Callaham saddles. I have all three and don't consider any of them a measurable step up from the others.

:idk:

If you want a slightly less twang and a slightly more balls, you could get some solid block type saddles. Like the ones that come on Squier Standards or these from GFS:

• Members

My #1 strat is a JV series Japanese Squier. It came with a full size trem block and the nice, big block saddles. I upgraded the pickups and eventually put a Callaham trem on it with the standard Fender type stamped/folded saddles and I swear, it sounded thinner and twangier.

I was kinda upset actually as I loved the trem... Very smooth and I really liked the short arm as it was a Gilmour strat knockoff. But I didn't like how the tone changed.

Went on vacation and talked with a guy on Ocala, FL and he said he'd almost guarantee if I put the old saddles on the new trem, I'd be happy again. I did and I was.

I'd never really bought into the different of saddles... as long as they were quality saddles before and after though I have long upgraded Squier pot metal saddles with either the standard Fender saddles or the GFS units and always noticed an increase in beef. Maybe more sustain as well, but it's harder for me to quantify that.

The the guitars in general don't get a lot of respect, a lot of folks seem to talk about how beefy 70s strats sounded and I wonder how much of that is the pickups and how much of that is the saddles.

Archived