Randall RM4-->anything else like this

thunder100

• Members

I think the obvious ones are mentioned.

The Randall is the product of a collaboration with Bruce Egnater, who offers his own variant, the M4, but it's more expensive than the Randall is. The big difference is Egnater's modules are a newer design and offer twin channels each.

Cruise Audio is out of business, complaints were often too noisy and too unreliable.

The SD Convertible is the other one, two channels. They turn up often enough, but generally suck, pretty much the stock module was the only good one, which as why if you find one it often doesn't have a selection of modules, if it even has a second one installed.

• Members

Cruise Audio is out of business, complaints were often too noisy and too unreliable.

Yes, I don't think that they lasted too long in business.

Never heard about those complaints. The ones I'm familiar with are that channels 3 and 4 are very muddy and the amps were too expensive when they came out. I think list was around $4000 and street prices were around $2000.

I've had three MQ4 amps and my complaint would be with channels 3 and 4 being muddy. That was an easy fix with an external eq., and eventually I replaced one of the channels. EDIT: Replacing the module was a bit of a pain.

Haven't had any noise or reliability issues.

The amp did incorporate some wonderful ideas. I don't know if the more recent incarnations by Randall and Egnater have all the features of the MQ4, but ideas like Mute, Blending, etc., are quite useful.

• Members

Thanks a lot

So the only way to go then seems to be Randall

I ll have a look

Roland

:confused:

The only way to go?

What exactly are you looking for?

If you want a 4 channel, rackmounted preamp it definitely is one option. Of course, there's the Egnater M4 as well. From a quick read, I think that the M4 can have more channels, has no loops, and has better build quality.

If you want a modular tube amp you have many choices as mentioned in the thread. Years ago some people talked about using a Randall chassis loaded with Egnater modules to save some money. For others the Egnater was worth the price premium, since it was hand made from higher grade components.

• Members

Dear Eddie

Its a bit more complicated

In my elder days (+ 30 years of playing with bigger breaks) I get lacy.I play mainly for myself,at bedroom noise levels but dont want to move my gear back and forward all the time

So I am building a rack where I can easily switch between amps and configurations.

As tube sound(mainly) comes from Preamp,I think to move to tube preamps.

I tried several modellers close but not there(Eleven Rack ,Tech 21 PSA1.1(closest),Line 6 POD XT Pro)

I have a Marshall JMP-1 as a start-->good for british and distorted tone-->leaves room to deserve on cleans and I play 50% SS(S) clean

And I want a Tweed ,a Blackface and a Rectifier

Therefore at least 2 channel or better 4 channel.Then the only the Randall seems to be remaining

As a minimum requirement I need a real Blackface Preamp in a rack

The other way I am going is to try a Fractal AXE fx as it seems to be close although still hard to believe

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

So lets see

Open to any serious advise

Roland

• Members

Again, the M4 is an option, just like the RM4. From what I read, many people prefer the Egnater. Many choose the Randall since it is cheaper, and do some mods to it.

Have you tried a power amp along with the JMP-1? I liked the JMP-1 when I had it in the 90s, but on its own it was limited. The speaker emulation was not that good.

Are you open to using software? There are some cool options these days, and sound has dramatically improved. Along with Recabinet ( http://recabi.net/site/ ) you have a lot of decent sounding options.

The Axe-FX can definitely be an option. I have not liked 100% the clips I've heard, but it is really good. One person offered me the Ultra version as a trade for my zenTera. It's a shame they discontinued the zenTera, since it is one of the nicest sounding amps I've ever played. I think forumite _pete_ is selling his zenTera head, so that's another option. It has a Blackface model and 16 other amp models, including Rectifier and Tweed Deluxe, Tweed 4 x 10 Bright, and Tweed 4 x 10 Normal.

From what I understand, many users use the Axe-FX along with an amp or power amp to get better tone.

Carvin also had some rack units a few years ago. One was called Tone Navigator (Frank Gambale preamp) and they also had a power amp. Both are recent and got many positive comments, but I think they're discontinued.

• Members

Again, the M4 is an option, just like the RM4. From what I read, many people prefer the Egnater. Many choose the Randall since it is cheaper, and do some mods to it.

Are you open to using software? There are some cool options these days, and sound has dramatically improved. Along with Recabinet (
) you have a lot of decent sounding options.

my zenTera. It's a shame they discontinued the zenTera, since it is one of the nicest sounding amps I've ever played. I think forumite _pete_ is selling his zenTera head, so that's another option. It has a Blackface model and 16 other amp models, including Rectifier and Tweed Deluxe, Tweed 4 x 10 Bright, and Tweed 4 x 10 Normal.

From what I understand, many users use the Axe-FX along with an amp or power amp to get better tone.

Carvin also had some rack units a few years ago. One was called Tone Navigator (Frank Gambale preamp) and they also had a power amp. Both are recent and got many positive comments, but I think they're discontinued.

Dear Eddie

I will look ioto the ZenTera as well

Roland

Archived