Has anyone tried the Planet Waves SOS Strobe Pick Tuner?

yell03

• Members

Has anyone tried the Planet Waves SOS Strobe Pick Tuner?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is the little $14.95 pick sized Strobe tuner.

Seems alot more convenient than having another pedal like a Boss TU-2.

I am thinking about this or the Planet Waves Clip-On Chromatic tuner for $29.95.

For those prices I should buy both and use the Clip-on for if I ever need to tweak my intonation, I have never done that in my life.

But, for quick tuning on the fly which do you all prefer?

Portability is key here.

• Members
Yes. I carry it with me all the time. Easy to tune up guitars in stores and I like it's accuracy. You can see it anywhere and you don't have to be able to hear the guitar. Very cool.

+1 to all of this. I happen to like it very much. Doesn't feel real durable but I've had it probably a year and haven't had any problems with it.

• Members

I just got one for Christmas and I like it a lot. No, it's not hard to see the light on the thinner strings. It's a lot more accurate than the old Korg I've been using. My buddy has been using one of these for a few years and loves it. Only real downside is that because of its size, it's easy to lose. Also, I don't think it can be used to set intonation. It only works for tuning an open (unfretted) string.

• Members
Never used one, but i have read it only works in E-standard tunings. can you guys who own one verify if this is true?

That is true and that is just fine with me.

I still think I might like the Planet Waves Clip-on tuner better though.

• Members

It is, like virtually every PW product I've owned, a brilliant idea, painfully cheesily executed. If they had spent another $0.25 on the case, I'd be standing from the rooftops proclaiming it's brilliance. But no, it's a cheap toy.

• Members

Planet Waves SOS Strobe Pick Tuner is pretty good. I got mine free with a multipack set of D'addario strings few years back, wonder if that deal is still on.

exl110-5sos.jpg

Same here. Got mine with a 5-pack of D'Addario acoustic strings. I use it mostly for acoustic and keep it with me in the pocket if I'm out somewhere and need quick tuning. It works very well and you can see the laser lights clearly.

• Members

Here is my main reason for wanting it.....

Sometimes I'll be jamming at home and I'll hear that my guitar tuning is off.
Maybe I did too radical of a bend on one of the notes?

So, while the jam to music is going I start trying to tune my instrument, this would be nice because I would be able to turn down my guitar and use this visually.

Would a clip-on be better for this application?

• Members

I used one until the the rotary switch gave out and it started to eat batteries (about 3 months). Great little tuner you can take everywhere, but as mentioned above very cheaply constructed. Almost disposable. Tested against my Intellitouch Tuner, both had very similar readings. It's a great idea, but I wouldn't want to depend on it. If PW could upgrade the switch everyone would have them. Only operational drawback is that it's limited to standard tuning, but for most of us that's not a problem.

• Members

I had one, pretty good but cheesily made as people noted above. I have a fender keychain/bottle opener/strobe tuner (just does e, though) that I like a lot more for its versatility. To be honest, I'd rather tune by ear or a normal tuner than either one under most circumstances. They're cool toys, though.

• Members
I had one, pretty good but cheesily made as people noted above. I have a fender keychain/bottle opener/strobe tuner (just does e, though) that I like a lot more for its versatility. To be honest, I'd rather tune by ear or a normal tuner than either one under most circumstances. They're cool toys, though.

Just low "e" would be fine for me in most cases at home, but then I couldn't tune silently in the middle of a tune.

What do you guys think is quicker, the Pick strobe tuner or a clip on chromatic?