Ableton. Cubase, Pro Tools, No problem - but Sonar????????

knotty

• Members

I have set up Cubase, Ableton and Pro Tools in the past with no prob. Used them all Ok as well.

But Sonar - just how complex and un-intuitive can you make a product? The instruction book is bigger than the bible and a more boring read.

After many crashes, playing with drivers and allocating resources to functions in an attempt to stop lock ups, we ( my pal and I ) gave up in the end and binned it.

Anybody got their head around it? If so you must be wired up differently to us. :confused:

• Members

This was 6 as well.

It just kept using whatever resource we threw at it. It kept throwing up errors and stalling. Tried all the recomended resource allocation settings and options to no avail. I know it is supposed to auto check and set itself on instal but this one would not. Pretty high spec machine as well 2.4 gig dual core - 3 gig ram. Loaded the latest vista patches etc. no joy. After a couple of nights fighting we threw in the towel.

• Members

im running sonar 8 on a AMD dual 3.0 3 gb of ram.. i really really like sonar..

using vista. it installed like a champ..

i do use a PODxt for audio interface and ASIO drivers

whish i could be a bit more help..

but there is a sonar specific forum... well cake walk.. they may be of assistance..

http://forum.cakewalk.com/

huge resource here and quite helpfull

• Members

He had the Sonar audio interface the j45 I think was the designation. Something 45 anyway, I should remember as we re installed and cleared the drivers a dozen times. Interestingly we tries it on a similar machine, same processor, m/b, vista version and audio drivers. It loaded with a completely different set of parameters on each machine. Different driver selection, sample rate, etc. It ran after a fashion on the clone machine but not on my pals.
I repair PC's for a living and have never seen anything like. We cleaned it of all files after uninstal, cleaned registry etc etc tried a fresh instal and it chose the same unworkable settings.

The ghost in the machine?

Archived