Want to give my strat a setup.

Fersnachi

• Members

Like its hard to pinpoint WHATS wrong with it it just does not feel good at all.

I have a fresh set of strings. I kind of want to lower the action a bit. Switching from 0.9 to 0.11 strings kind of raised the action. I don't want to mess with the truss rod the neck bow seems fine.

What else can i adjust? can I mess up really?

• Members

put a capo on the first fret, hold down the 21 fret with your right hand pointer finger... tap the 8th and 12th fret, there should be no more gap between the string and the fret than maybe a playing cards thickness, or a piece of paper. if you switched strings of that magnitude, youre going to have to tighten the truss rod a bit, do it on 1/4 turn increments. You gotta have a straight neck before you mess with action, or you are going to get fret buzz out the anus. When i adjust the action, what i do is set the string radius correctly, and if i want to lower it, i will lower each hex bolt on the saddles 1/2 turn. oiling the fretboard with some Linseed oil or tung oil always improves the feel as well.

• Members

well, you can adjust the springs in the back.

once you get the bridge at the right height, your action should be better. whenever you change the gauge of the strings, you should check for this and be prepared to (re)adjust.

here's a vid:

then check the intonation, saddle heights, etc.

you very likely don't need to mess with the truss rod, and I wouldn't unless you're *absolutely* sure you need to. simple adjustment, though.

but if you can't get the action right and/or the intonation, then take it to a guitar tech. a set-up should be less than $30.

Archived