May I pick your brains?

Vespertine

• Members

Well more like get your opinions on something.

I recently started working on a project I've had in mind for a while, and was wondering if I could get some feed back on it.

It's, as the name implies, a gear review database... Nothing too fancy, or revolutionary lol. got the idea from "a more popular site":rolleyes: and then just added a couple things that I thought would make it more efficient. I had been getting more into web development at work for the last couple of months and wanted to do something to practice what I've been learning so far, so it kinda made sense to me... since I'm always looking for gear online and what not :facepalm::cool:

Anyhow.. there's still a lot left to be done , but I thought I'd share the link to see what other people think of it so far... any feedback is greatly appreciated! thanks!:thu:

http://www.gearreviewdatabase.com/

• Members

I took a quick look: it's not bad but it's pretty text-heavy, IMO. You might want to move the spec sheet to another page or just refer to Fender's site, since it looks identical to Fender's spec sheet.

Just out of curiosity, what are you trying to offer that other guitar/gear review sites don't?

• Members
I took a quick look: it's not bad but it's pretty text-heavy, IMO. You might want to move the spec sheet to another page or just refer to Fender's site, since it looks identical to Fender's spec sheet.

Just out of curiosity, what are you trying to offer that other guitar/gear review sites don't?

You know, I had not noticed till you mentioned it, I agree. I'll put a character limit on the front page along with a read more button. :thu: As for the specs sheet, that's just some info I got else where,there's no assigned layout. People can submit the info any way they want.

Thanks mate

• Members

What sets your site apart from...oh...say HC?

It's a big field out there, what makes you different, and why should people care? Not trying to be rude, but these are the questions any upstart needs to ask themselves.

Right now it looks very generic and lacks any real identity or branding.

• Members
I like it. Can I review guitars other than Fenders and other classics?

Yeah most definitely.

Actually, it is not just limited to guitars.. you can add amps, pedals, mics, software etc.... The idea was to allow people to submit reviews on whatever they liked... not just limit them with a predefined category. That way it'll be possible to have a record of the less popular brands and models that are hard to find on the web... The more people add to it, the more resourceful it will become. Or at least that's what I'm hoping :)

• Members

What sets your site apart from...oh...say HC?

It's a big field out there, what makes you different, and why should people care? Not trying to be rude, but these are the questions any upstart needs to ask themselves.

Right now it looks very generic and lacks any real identity or branding.

Not much, I wasn't really looking to take over the web or anything like that.. I just needed to work on something as practice and thought I be nice to have something more organized online. It's just a database though, I don't think I'll be writing articles or hosting a forum anytime soon. As for what it has to offer.. I'd say a better search function, tags,and a rating system that'll give global percentages based on what visitors think is better.

Archived