Gibson Les Paul Traditional vs Standard?

Joeballz

• Members

dude nice guitar collection there! thanks man youve been very helpful. Who knows im asking all these questions and ill probably end up buying a studio or even a sg standard lol. I actually really like the studio deluxe they just released: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-Deluxe-Electric-Guitar?sku=583405

• Members

The Traditional replaced the Classic, correct?

Nope. At least I don't think so...

The Standard up until I think 2007 had a weight relieved/swiss cheese body, BB pro pickups, short tenon, green tulip tuners and I'm not sure what the finish was. Then they decided to update the standard and carved a load of wood out of it and made this "new" standard as someone mentioned.

A year later they released the traditional which I think was just the pre-2007 standard.

The classic was something slightly pickups-wise but I think yeah, traditional and classic would no be on par.

Is the classic still going?

• Members

Yeah, too bad.

That was an "affordable" LP model when I got mine.

Yeah, use affordable loosely. :lol: The Classic's price was all over the price throughout the years it was produced. I think later ones like mine were around $2000.

Still, it's weird that the Classic is gone.:poke:

• Members

Nope. At least I don't think so...

The Standard up until I think 2007 had a weight relieved/swiss cheese body, BB pro pickups, short tenon, green tulip tuners and I'm not sure what the finish was. Then they decided to update the standard and carved a load of wood out of it and made this "new" standard as someone mentioned.

A year later they released the traditional which I think was just the pre-2007 standard.

The classic was something slightly pickups-wise but I think yeah, traditional and classic would no be on par.

Is the classic still going?

Chambering started in 2006 with some overlap. Standard's, Studio's and Classic's were all chambered.

Mid 2008 The Standard was updated to its current specs. Preceeding this model was the 2002 - early 2008 Standard.

The Traditional was introduced in 2008. The model was influenced by the late 80's through late 90's LP features.

The Classic limped along until early 2008. Surprisingly, the Classic lasted almost 20 years, although when the model switched to the Nashville bridge it became kind of a redundant model in the catalog.

• Members

Chambering started in 2006 with some overlap. Standard's, Studio's and Classic's were all chambered.

Mid 2008 The Standard was updated to its current specs. Preceeding this model was the 2002 - early 2008 Standard.

The Traditional was introduced in 2008. The model was influenced by the late 80's through late 90's LP features.

The Classic limped along until early 2008. Surprisingly, the Classic lasted almost 20 years, although when the model switched to the Nashville bridge it became kind of a redundant model in the catalog.

I think my Les Paul was made around November 2005 so probably would've been some of the last LP Stds pre-chambering maybe?

Cheers for the dates there. I knew it was something like that. Gibson essentially created the market for the Traditional by chopping the standard to bits and getting rid of the Classic.

What was special about the Classic again? I remember ceramic magnets in the pickups that's about it. I think it was them 480T ones or something.

• Members

What was special about the Classic again? I remember ceramic magnets in the pickups that's about it. I think it was them 480T ones or something.

496R and 500T.

I have a love/hate relationship with its pickups. I may swap them out of my Classic at some point.

They are extremely hot and sometimes get really muddy sounding. :freak:

• Members

I think my Les Paul was made around November 2005 so probably would've been some of the last LP Stds pre-chambering maybe?

Cheers for the dates there. I knew it was something like that. Gibson essentially created the market for the Traditional by chopping the standard to bits and getting rid of the Classic.

2005 was the last full year of weight relief on these models.

btw - I'm a fan of chambering. :p

When introduced the Classic was more similar to a 50's Standard compared to the Standard of the early 90's. Smaller, more vintage correct headstock, ABR bridge and Kluson's. Another difference was the hotter, exposed ceramic pickups in the Classic, a thin profile neck (which was popular at the time and marketed as a "60's neck") were other features that I remember. The model evolved through the years - The word Classic replaced Standard on the headstock veneer and inlays were changed to that nasty green in the mid 90's. The "60's" neck profile became more like a real Gibson 60's neck over time and the Nashville bridge replaced the ABR in the early to mid 00's. When Gibson redesigned the Standard in 2002 to be more vintage-like the Classic kind of became the odd guitar out.

I always liked the Classic, especially the early models that said "Les Paul Model" on the headstock & with the normal looking inlays. Swap the pickups and you have a poor man's prehistoric.

• Members

Well I've got this 2005 Standard with a 60's neck and Seymour Dunanc Alnico IIs...

910307760a7470050046l.jpgth_Gibson_LP_Std-1.jpg

I've always wondered is it one of them dodgy phantom Gibsons that you read about on forums that have a raft of QC issues. To me it's great though. I suppose after 20years of jumping around my bedroom my back will regret it but it feels like a badge of honour to play a heavy chunk of guitar like that one :p

Archived