Getting back my flat black nitro finish!

because_you_can

• Members

Not easy, the matt finish is due to microscopic surface roughness. If your cleaning products have smoothed this roughness down, you need to make it rough again.

There was a thread about a year ago about producing a matt finish on a Les Paul poly finish using (I think) scotchbrite pads. It originated on another site devoted to Les Pauls, but I can't remember which one.

• Members

I LOVE that matte/satin black look and for quite a while, I really wanted a matte/satin black strat with a glossy black pickguard and a neck with an ebony fretboard. I thought about buying a Highway One body or either refinishing one of my bodies or having it refinished. The problem is, nitro is so soft, without a clear satin coat on top of the nitro, it will naturally buff out from use. Pretty quickly. I've seen same year Highway One bodies where the whole arm bevel looks damn near perfectly polished from only a few months of use.

To go a cheesy route, you could strip the finsh and hit it with a few layers of flat black spray paint. I would imagine that would yield the longest lasting matte black finish.

For the record, I've seen an awful lot of black vintage strats over the last 25 years or so and most of them had a pretty decent amount of gloss going on. I suppose if the guitar was never cleaned/polished, it might look a bit satin, but often just a wipe down without anything other than a cloth will restore a decent amount of gloss.

Archived