Best offer...

Mike Fiasco

• Members

When I see a craigslist ad or a spam post for "best offer", I get discouraged from offering. I feel as though the seller doesn't know how much his piece is worth, or he's waiting for someone to make a stupidly high offer.

The spam threads on HCEG are pretty good places to buy, but if I see a "make offer" I pass it by. I think if you're serious about selling, you'll name your price, and if it doesn't sell then that's your clue that you're asking too much.

Does anyone else just avoid "best offer" ads?

• Members

I avoid a lot on CL. Everything is 'vintage 1996 model blah blah' or like new condition.......personally I've had better luck on ebay. You can see the bids ect. and most of the sellers are pretty reputable. There are exceptions, but so far so good for me.

And there aren't many real deals anywhere any more.

• Members

i put things up FS/FT/BO all the time. not looking for crazy high prices, just an interestng trade or a reasonable offer.

-If I see I see, "Best Offer" and there is not price, I figure the seller is tying to get an auction going. I'm not interested in an auction, or I'd be shopping on ebay.

-If I see a price and the words, "Or Best Offer", I don't know what to think. Is the seller saying he's asking, "$XXX", but if he gets a lot of calls, then he'll try to get a bidding-war going. No thanks.

Or maybe he's saying he'll except less if there's no interest at his asking-price. To me that's just redundant and confuses what type of deal he's looking for.

It indicates to me that I'm dealing with someone who can't be up-front enough to state what he wants, and may well be a pain to deal with.

I figure every asking-price is just that, and subject to the desires of the market. If someone says, "Firm Price", then I respect that and won't bother making an offer unless I feel that my desire meets his demand.

Those poor people who put, "$XXX, but the price is negotiable", well that's just a little sad. I understand that not everyone is a "horse-trader", But it's like they've given-up before they've even begun.

Archived