p 90 problem...help!

heyhey

• Members

I got a stacked Seymour Duncan P 90 for my PRS soapbar II bridge. After chiseling out the body, a pain in the a.., I hooked it up in all possible ways but it either hummed like crazy or was super weak. Any ideas? I put in an email to Seymour D, waiting...Any love for this pickup around here? Thanks in advance.

• Members

I hooked it up
in all possible ways
but it either hummed like crazy or was super weak.

This statement makes me think that you probably didn't follow a wiring diagram of any sort.

Take a look at the wiring again following the diagram. Make sure you are familiar with the SD coloring scheme as it is defferent than standard schemes. Make sure there is good contact at all the solder joints.

Then get back to us with more specifics and maybe we can help you diagnose the problem.

• Members

There's not a diagram for the PRS style layout with the pickups, or on their web site. Only diagram for Les Paul style with series/parellel, or powerboast option. I have a Dimarzio humbucker in the neck, no problems there.

• Members

How many leads are coming off of your P90? It sounds like you may have switched around the grounding/pos/neg wires. Keep in mind that different pickup manufacturers have different color-coding schemes, so if you matched what was in there, that might explain it.

I just installed a P90 in one of my guitars last night, so my mind is fresh if you want to throw some pictures/diagrams my way.

• Members

Basically the p90 has red, white, green, black and bare. The guitar has vol. tone, and switch. The dimarzio, which works, and the old "real" p90 have a pos+ (yellow)wire to 1 side of switch, a bare wire(p90) to back of switch. With the humbucker the Black and white wires twisted together and the bare to the back of tone nob. I tried this in all variations with the SD without the hum canceling, or really low power. It sounded like the real single coil, pretty rip'n but the hum!!!

• Members

Basically the p90 has red, white, green, black and bare. The guitar has vol. tone, and switch.

The dimarzio, which works, and the old "real" p90 have a pos+ (yellow)wire to 1 side of switch, a bare wire(p90) to back of switch.

Ok, so the positive is going to one of the switch poles and the bare is being grounded to the switch body.

With the humbucker the Black and white wires twisted together and the bare to the back of tone nob.

The black and white wires twisted together joins the coils, which is what you want unless you're doing some coil splitting stuff. However, there should be another wire coming from it to the OTHER side of the pickup selector switch.

I tried this in all variations with the SD without the hum canceling, or really low power. It sounded like the real single coil, pretty rip'n but the hum!!!

This really makes me think that you've got the wrong pair twisted together, and you're getting basically one coil of the going into the signal and the other end grounding out the wrong way or something.

Have you looked at this wiring diagram? Beacuse they're not wired like typical singlecoils or humbuckers.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=p90_stacks

Archived