Mixing Cabs... yay or nay

V-man

• Members

I am experimenting with a wall of doom with one amp capturing the mids and shrill highs and the other capturing the thunderous bass tones. The current temporary setup is JCM900--> Avatar 412 (V30s) and JCM800 Super Bass -->Ampeg 410 Bass cab running in stereo.

I am waiting on my 1960A cab to arrive, which would make the intended setup as follows: JCM 900 --> 1960A and JCM 800-->Avatar 412 running in stereo. I believe this will be the best setup because the 900 was built around the GT-75 speakers of the 1960A and the "flat" square cab with V30s would define the bass of the Super Bass.

Now this is where you come in...

I am screwing around with the temporary setup and getting some ridiculous bass tone with the Ampeg 410, especially when I play through the HOG. I was wondering if I should make the wall of doom truly imposing by playing the Super Bass through BOTH the Ampeg 410 AND the Avatar 412. This provides a total of three cabs: one for the highs, the lows, and the sub-guitar bass tones that the -1 and -2 octaves of the HOG would generate, along with general thunder. The Avatar runs at 8 Ohm, as does the Ampeg, and I can run the Superbass at 4 Ohm, so impendance shouldn't be an issue (to my knowlege). What to you think/know/advise regarding a tube amp running both a guitar and bass cab while playing guitar through it? Any hazards to equipment? Tone issues? Suggestions?

• Members

sure, why not? yer gonna start gassin' for a stereo ric tho.

I have a '75' 4001 :thu:

All I need is another bass cab and that Rick-o-sound cable, and it's on.

Someone needs to hurry the hell up and make a Bass Ebow!

Archived