wiring help..

kpwill

• Members

I recently decided to make-over a strat style guitar I have- part of which would include re-wiring the guitar.

After completing the wiring yesterday, the new 5 way switch I purchased turned out to be too large for the body cavity. Rather than cut into the body and make room for it, I'd like to simply try and stick with the old switch as it fits in just fine. The problem is, I have NO IDEA how to wire this switch.

This is the old switch:

http://www.axetec.co.uk/sw001%20diag...view%20800.gif

If anyone here knows where I can find some resource that would help in wiring this switch in, or if anyone has any tips on how to do so- it would be greatly appreciated. I have enough knowledge of guitar wiring to follow a diagram, but I am by no means any sort of expert- not even close!

The pickups I will be using are a red-silver-blue set of lace sensors, one volume knob and two tone knobs, and obviously the nasty 5 way switch.

• Members

Yeah, I've run into that too. Some of the newer guitars have routs that are just too shallow for the old style wafer switches.

I have never seen a switch like the one you're showing. But since you've got the diagram wiring won't be that big a deal. The center contact is common, and you could get 3 individual pickup contacts off of either ends contacts. But my old brain overheats when I try to figure the blend positions.

I would suggest posting this in the DIY and you should get a quick answer.

• Members

Based on that pic, I would try wiring it like this.

The top row of contacts (as pictured) would be Bridge - Middle - Neck pups.

The center is output.

The bottom row is Neck - Middle - Bridge and would connect to the tone pots.

You could do a standard Strat setup and run a tone pot to the neck pup and mid pup or any combo you like. I'd run a jumper wire between the middle and bridge contacts so that tone pot would control those 2 pups.

Archived