I kinda feel bad for the people who are constantly buying and selling gear...

metallica_00

• Members

totally agree.. with op:

i think a lots of folks just try to sound better or different by buying more and more stuff.. and when it wont happen.. they just buy more stuff.. but what ever gets you there i guess, the best guitarist i know are the cats with one great amp and one or two guitars, they have guitars because they love the sound of playing one.. not because the latest finish or trick on pickups..

they just play them..

seems the right path to me..

• Members

Here's what's wrong with not getting any new gear for so long --- for 20 years my #1 was an epi LP custom. My main amp was a solid state/analog rack amp with digital and analog preamps. I had it for 20 years and swore it was the greatest setup ever and that that setup played and sounded as good as a gibson LP through a tube amp.

Then I got a tube amp........then I got a gibson LP.....

I have since sold all my rack and digital stuff and now play the gibson through various tube amps I've bought since my first one.

By not trying out new stuff I had closed myself off to a world of tone and playability I never knew existed.

Since then I've also bought a michael kelly patriot limited, a squier CV tele, both of which I've kept, and a couple others that I sent back almost immediately.

My tone right now is better than it has ever been thanks to my deciding to start buying and trying new gear and new stuff.

And to this day I'm still always looking for something new or different or just something that might enhance my current setup. For example, I have two 1x12 combo amps and various cabinets including 2x12s, 4x10s, and 4x12s, and now I'm looking for a 1x12 cab to make one of my combos a ministack.

There's always something........

• Members

For me it depends on how much spare cash I have lying around. If I have a lot of dough I am definitely a gasser. I will buy Jaguars, Jazzmasters, SGs, Strats, Teles, P90 guitars, the whole bit.

But as it stands I've found that it's much more reasonable to have a decent place to live, a reliable car, and a (few) good guitars.

That being said I did splurge today :D

My first newbie in, well...2 years almost! Whoa! Actually I take that back. I bought my friend's bass from him two months ago. But that was a bass. Doesn't count. :cool:

Archived