Professional Sound

Gas Hed

• Members

How is it that the pros sound so clean recorded and even live in most situations? What I'm getting at is a recorded guitar part sounds so crisp, no feedback, noise, etc. Is it a matter of good mixing, good noise suppression? What are they using in their signal that I'm not?

Of course, there is the harsh reality that I'm just a sloppy player. :facepalm:

• Members
You have to keep in mind that in addition to the guitar, amp, and player's ability, what you hear on CDs also has about a million dollars worth of studio gear to make is sound the way it does.

I've got about $100 buck I could spend on a pedal - I wonder how far that would get me.:cry:

• Members

I've heard players on these forums getting great results from low cost recording gear - and in many cases low cost guitars.

The key to getting this would be to experiment with tones and see how they come out when recorded. Sometimes a guitar tone that sounds great on its own just wont sound right when it's put up against a backing track or just another guitar.

I'm not saying that you should spend years chasing the perfect tone. Just take some time to see what works best in a mix.

Also, it's not everone's thing but guitar FX software has come a long way in the last few years. If it's purely for recording you could do a lot worse than use something like Guitar Rig to get good results.

• Members

and another thing...

don't go by wha you hear when you play it. Go by what you hear in the recording. I did some studio work a song for a local singer. The engineer set up my amp for the tone he was after. Live it sounded thin, brittle and a harsh. On the recording it sounded great

• Members

don't go by wha you hear when you play it. Go by what you hear in the recording.

true, there are so many issues, but I don't listen in the same way while I play. You can even use echo to "test" what you just played.

I usually have to prevent noise from being there in the first place, I can't remove it without ruining things. Pros do things you wouldn't expect like holding unused strings so there's no string noise .

Archived