Is this wood?

mschafft

• Members

It is probably SEN. Which is basically a Japanese type of ash. Many Japanese fenders use it. Greco and Aria used it as does fender obviously. I don't have any experience with it but I've heard it is basically the same as N. American Ash at least in terms of tone.

As for the price I can't help you there. I'm not a MIJ fender expert. I do know they make models all up and down the price line so you might need to take off the neck to find a model number. A general rule of thumb with Japanese guitars is the model number will contain the original price. So if it say's something like ST75 then it was 75000 yen to begin with.

Hopefully Zenbu will pop in here and offer an opinion.

• Members

Yeah probably 55000 yen. I would say that is probably low/mid range for fender japan. I just had a look for TL72 on yahoo japan and there is one that is a TL75 65 with a buy it now price of 45000 yen. That one (yours) looks great but I personally think that is a bit pricey for the model it is.

If you're interested in a japanese Fender check out Ishibashi's used page

http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box/e/

Just type in "Fender Japan".....there are a ton of nice ones. Just another option to consider. And they are a breeze to deal with. Very helpful and polite.

• Members

Many thanks. Is it correct to say that a low-mid guitar like this would be weaker in terms of the electronic only, or would also the wood have not as good tone and sustain as more expensive ones? I think the hardware is fine (Gotoh).

• Members

Many thanks. Is it correct to say that a low-mid guitar like this would be weaker in terms of the electronic only, or would also the wood have not as good tone and sustain as more expensive ones? I think the hardware is fine (Gotoh).

Yeah that is generally true. The cheaper ones will have cheaper asian made electronics and cheaper stock pickups. I can't really tell from the pictures but how many pieces is it? cheaper usually means more pieces but I've never seen any japanese clear finished guitars that were more than 3. I'd bet the wood is pretty damn good. The main difference would probably be a poly finish on that vs Nitro on the very high end stuff.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Hey, this is my first post here.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I bought a guitar exactly like this one, except it has a G serial (1987?). Actually found this thread on a google search trying to find out what wood it is. I'm fairly certain it's not basswood, even though some people have tried to convince me that it is. It doesn't really look like basswood to me, and it's quite a bit heavier than my basswood Ibanez.

It's my first tele, but feels pretty nice to me. It definitely feels just as good in my hands as the MIA tele the other guitarist in my band has. I actually prefer the neck on this one to his.

I'll probably need to tweek the electronics a bit. The pots a bit scratchy, and the neck pickup doesn't quite go clean. When I try to run it clean it just sounds like it has a little bit of dirt on it. The bridge pickup is very bright. Over all it sounds good, and its playable for sure in the condition it's in now.

Anyway, can you guys say for sure if this guitar is Alder or Ash?

Here are some more pics:

2evdvdl.jpg

2n7h20x.jpg

migavd.jpg

-edit

I actually thought this was a thread for the guitar I bought at first. Same seller and same camera angles, and the guitar looks exactly the same.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FENDER-JAPAN-TELECASTER-TL72-55-VNT-1987-G-SERIAL-MIJ_W0QQitemZ280469864164QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item414d4e7ee4

• Members

I'd say ash for sure. Harder to tell on yours if it's sen ash or north american ash. I'm no expert but every old sen ash MIJ body I've seen has very tight grain like the original guitar at the top. Yours is a little more N. american looking grain. But keep in mind this opinion is strictly based on guitars I've seen pictures of and then saw whether it was sen or not. I'm sure there is variation in grain patterns for both species.

sweet guitar!

Archived