Blackstar HT5 Or Tiny Terror or Class 5

Pincookie1

• Members

Hi everyone, I am guessing this has been done time and again, unfortunately I am 200 miles from a music store. So, i tend to rely heavily on youtube, and reviews here at harmony central to decide on new gear. I have narrowed my amp choices down. I currently own a HRD, and a VJ. I am looking to get Usable classic rock to modern rock tones. No brootz needed. Money isn't really a big deal, as I buy mostly used gear anyway. I am currently leaning toward the Tiny Terror. Its really difficult to use youtube compressed videos to determine which one suits me best. Heard some bad things about the Class 5 build. Can't find a bad review of the tt. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

• Members

Personaly, I'd go the tiny terror route because:

- it does classic rock

- it does modern rock

- excellent quality tone.

Next would be the marshall class 5, but no gain knob on that one, you've got to be loud & louder to get some gain/saturation.

I don't think I would consider the HT5 - loads of feature, but doesn't do much I like a lot.

• Members

Personaly, I'd go the tiny terror route because:

- it does classic rock

- it does modern rock

- excellent quality tone.

Next would be the marshall class 5, but no gain knob on that one, you've got to be loud & louder to get some gain/saturation.

I don't think I would consider the HT5 - loads of feature, but doesn't do much I like a lot.

Thanks for the reply, I haven't really seen anyone give a thoroughly negative review of that amp.. and it seems like the only one. Will the 15watts through a 12 give me enough volume for small clubs? Just a 3 piece so no other guitarist to contend with.

• Members

Thanks for the reply, I haven't really seen anyone give a thoroughly negative review of that amp.. and it seems like the only one. Will the 15watts through a 12 give me enough volume for small clubs? Just a 3 piece so no other guitarist to contend with.

Oh yes. I run a 22 watt marshall and to get it to break up sans attenuation is quite loud.

• Members

Oh yes. I run a 22 watt marshall and to get it to break up sans attenuation is quite loud.

Its not a big deal anyway, I can use the HRD live, I just really want a crunch sound for my man cave. I have cleans in abundance. I also have crappy overdrive pedals in abundance. Tired of them.:mad:

• Members

IMHO the HT-5 is great for getting the classic Marshall to hot rodded Marshall tones in a low volume package.

The tiny terror is more versatile, but has it's own thing going on, not exactly Marshall, but similar sag and crunch. If you wanted to get a tone at home then take it on the road the TT might be a better option because it's plenty loud.

I guess it comes down to what you want to spend. The HT-5 is great and under $400, the TT half again as much.

• Members

IMHO the HT-5 is great for getting the classic Marshall to hot rodded Marshall tones in a low volume package.

The tiny terror is more versatile, but has it's own thing going on, not exactly Marshall, but similar sag and crunch. If you wanted to get a tone at home then take it on the road the TT might be a better option because it's plenty loud.

I guess it comes down to what you want to spend. The HT-5 is great and under $400, the TT half again as much.

Every time I tell myself I will just use the amp at home, I think " what if like it so much, I want to gig with it" sigh...

• Members

Every time I tell myself I will just use the amp at home, I think " what if like it so much, I want to gig with it" sigh...

I gig with the Tiny Terror; it has more than enough volume for small club gigs if you don't want a crystal clean tone and, if you're playing larger venues, you can always mic it up.

The only complaint I might have about mine is that it's pretty much a rock beast (no chimey Fender cleans from the TT) but I knew that going in so it's not a problem.

• Members

FWIW I thought the TT I played sounded like crap, and the Rockerverb 50 wasn't much better.

I'd definitely try before you buy.

Yeah, thats an issue. I reside 5 miles from Eastport Maine, as far east as one can get and still be in States. Two hours to get to a decent music store, and 4 to get to one where I could demo these amps in one place.

• Members

FWIW I thought the TT I played sounded like crap, and the Rockerverb 50 wasn't much better.

I'd definitely try before you buy.

Yeah, thats an issue. I reside 5 miles from Eastport Maine, as far east as one can get and still be in States. Two hours to get to a decent music store, and 4 to get to one where I could demo these amps in one place.

• Members

The Terror is a bit darker, and does best with V30's for speakers. I run mine with an EQ pedal in front and that really helps me dial in the tones I'm looking for. I can def get good stuff directly from the amp, but add an EQ and OD (I run a Bloody Murder) to the front and you can cop just about anything you could want.

• Members

The Terror is a bit darker, and does best with V30's for speakers.

It is a relatively dark amp but personally I think the Eminence The Governor works better for the TT than the V30, mainly because the Gov has a sweeter top end and more complex mids.

I also use a Peavey XXL 2x12 cab which works surprisingly well.

• Members

Here are a few HT-5 clips I recorded if you are interested - sweet lil amp!!

It's worth noting that the cover songs were recorded silently using the amps line out. The third clip was done with an sm57 mic.

Rush cover:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738627&content=songinfo&songID=7593964

King's X cover:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738627&content=songinfo&songID=7618270

One of my original metal tunes:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738627&content=songinfo&songID=8072686

• Members

I had a TT for around two years. I liked it, but it was ultimately too much amp for my purpose, and I didn't want to spend extra on an attenuator. At 15 watts, it's easily the most gig-worthy of those three.

The Blackstar HT-5 was a perfect fit for my needs. Pumps out classic Marshall tones at TV volumes. Impressive gain, lots of features. Playing through it is lots of fun. Wish it had reverb, though.

I'm intrigued by the Class 5, but I'd only consider getting one if Marshall made a head version with a master volume. The amp's rattle-can issues aren't encouraging, either.

Archived