GFS Pickup recommendation for my only electric guitar

Sheik Yerbouti

• Members

Well guys, since I've been in college I've been slowly liquidating my gear. I travel a lot, so I am pairing it down to just 2 guitars. My Epiphone Masterbilt acoustic and my Carvin bolt kit electric. My bolt kit has a lot of me in it, and it plays great. I just don't like the Carvin AP11s and M22SD I have. They just sound kind of lifeless.

So, this being my only guitar, I want to do it to the nines. I want a lot of flexibility. I don't do a lot of high gain stuff, I don't think I need extreme output or anything like that. I guess you would describe my taste in tone as vintagey. I want something with a lot of life and soul and complexity. I also like to play a lot with effects, so ultimately I want something versatile. Maybe one of those crazy circuits that GFS sells? I don't know, I just want to do the most I can with one guitar.

Now, I'm also ditching my amp and going straight into the computer. So I'll be playing in close proximity to my laptop. Is noise an issue when you do that? I'm also not sure if I want to do noiseless or not. I kind of like a bit of feedback here and there. I shielded the inside of my guitar with copper foil.

Help me figure out what I want here.

Thanks guys.

• Members

If you're really going all out, I'd get something good and I'd personally skip the extra circuits and crazy switching. I've known two guys with the BC Rich Biches that have all those options and basically, they sound best run in full humbucker mode without the extra out of phase, split coil stuff.

:lol:

But I understand the desire for versatility. I would just rather stick with the relatively minimal setup using close to the best components I can buy.

As for the noise around the computer. Do you have a CRT or an LCD monitor? That's the biggest source for noise in my experience. I can sit in front of my LCD monitor with non RW/RP single coils and I get minimal noise. Different houses make a difference as well. I get very minimal hum while another forum member gets pretty crazy noise unless you point single coils in a certain direction unless they are RW/RP and in the #2 or #4 positions.

• Members

But sometimes I like getting those real ugly sounds. I figure if I have the capacity to get ugly sounds and cool sounds and bad sounds and good sounds then it'd be worth the extra bit of my time to wire it.

I figure I'll shield the everloving {censored} out of the cavity and go with the single coils. I'll be mostly in front of a laptop.

• Members

Yeah, I don't think you'll have much additional noise from being around a laptop. Mostly CRTs, florescent lights and rheostats cause noise for single coils in my experience.

My house hardly gets cellphone reception, it's like the entire house is shielded. But what pickups do you like in my sub 100 a set price range?

Archived