New Guitar = Alot of Feedback!

pjrake

• Members

Just got a Gibson Les Paul Studio, and when I plugged it to my rig (see below), I got alot of feeback, even with the ISP gate on! Mind you, it has stock pickups, but I was still surprised by the load of feedback I was getting.

Did not touch any of the settings at all; left them all the same. Been using that rig for years with my LP Standard (and Tremonti Treble pups) and can literally stand next to the amp with no feedback at all!

Wondering if the stock pickups are to blame? Was gonna swap them anyway (put in either another Tremonti or the new Bare Knuckle Painkiller pups), but if the stock pups is the problem, I'm a bit surprised, considering the LP Studio guitars are not cheap!

Thoughts?

-PJ

Current Rig:

Guitar: Gibson Les Paul Standard

Pickups: Tremonti Treble

Amps: Dual Rectifier 3 Channel, MESA 4x12

Effects: Maxon OD808, ISP Decimator, G Major, DTR1000 Tuner, Axess Electronics, Shure Wireless

• Members

once i got the guitar (brand new straight out of the box) i took it to my guitar guy for a setup. would that have been something he would have looked at, or something i would have to point out to him?

didn't try this, but will on Monday. thanks!

-PJ

My comment was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but humbuckers that are not wax potted will feedback more easily. I guess you could have them potted, but it might be better just to make a change to something else. Unless you asked for it, a tech is not going to make that kinda change when doing a setup.

Archived